"A Bed on the Inlet" B&B in Victoria

Apr 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

"A Bed on the Inlet" B&B in Victoria

Has anyone stayed here? How far from town is it, it appears I will definitely need a car if I stay here. Would I be better off staying right in the middle of town?

it looks lovely..

www.abedontheinlet.com

thank you
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:58 AM

It is some distance from town so, yes, you would need a car. It's not my favourite part of town but the place itself might be perfectly nice. So are lots of others if you want to stay on the outskirts. Personally, if I was choosing a B&B that was driving distance from town, I'd prefer to be out on the peninsula (for instance, I think B. Brown has stayed at Elk Lake which is more or less between town and Butchart Gardens) or in the lovely Rockland area closer in, or in James Bay by the harbour.

It might depend on whether you want a quieter spot or a place where you can walk out your door to sights and restaurants. Assuming you have had a relaxing dose of nature at Tofino and mainly want to see the regular sights in Victoria in a short amount of time, I would stay in town near the harbour.
Apr 30th, 2005, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

sounds good, thank you for the info!

I'm thinking B&B for sure... so on with the search.
May 1st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

hey April, I did look at Coastal Harbour hotel (did I get the name right?) and may do that, but I've also done some searching for some B&Bs and have come across a few that look very nice.
May 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM

Let me know if you want opinions on the B&B locations.

(I think it's the Coast.)
May 1st, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

whew, here goes:

I emailed a number of places this morning. I got some replies and so far these guys look good:

Oak Lane B&B
Beaconsfield Inn
Medana Grove B&B
Abbeymoore Manor
Canisbay Cottage
Oceanview B&B
Dreemskerry

I am tentatively leaning towards Dreemskerry or Beaconsfield.

I'm hoping to get away with no car in Victoria because my stay there will be fairly short (3 nights) and I figure the afternoon I arrive I'll just walk around town, the next day go to Salt Spring Island, and the next full day I will... ? dunno yet. more of Victoria, whatever I wasn't able to see on my first afternoon.

thank you for your input!
May 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

and a few more...

Earle Clarke House Bed & Breakfast
Menzie's Manor
Rosewood Victoria Inn
May 1st, 2005, 05:30 PM

I think you have good instincts. I don't know how it rates these days but the Beaconsfield used to have a very good reputation. It is not too far away from Victoria's harbour.

Dreemskerry is a splendid looking building on a corner near the Lieutenant Governor's House (where you can stroll the grounds). From it, Abbeymoore Manor and Oak Lane B&B (never seen it) you would probably want to bus into town though.

Medana Grove B&B is in James Bay, convenient to the harbour and downtown. Canisbay Cottage near Clover Point would be a bit of a hike.

Where is Oceanview B&B?

Are you going to Saltspring without a car or any transportation? I think you'd be disappointed.
May 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM

Part II
I adore the Rosewood - the building that is. I don't know how it is to stay in especially since it changed names and presumably owners (which may have been a good thing?). Handy location though near the harbour, Beacon Hill Park and the waterfront. I would like to stay there... but would like to hear some first-hand experiences. By the way, depending on when you're visiting, you might be able to see the herons nesting in the park.

Never heard of Earle Clarke House Bed & Breakfast. Looks grand but I'm not sure about the location - I'd want to see what is around it. Would be a bus ride from town.

Menzies Manor in James Bay - not in the most swish surroundings but near the waterfront and a few blocks from the harbour. I think someone here posted a favourable review. Corner stores and a grocery store are in the neighbourhood (applies to Medana Grove too).

The negative for some of the outlying B&Bs is that you might have to bus or taxi to restaurants.
May 1st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks April. Maybe I'll have to get a car anyway. I wasn't sure if I'd need one on Salt Spring Island.
May 1st, 2005, 06:54 PM

Saltspring would be awkward without a car or at least a bicycle and even then I would only go there if I had nothing better to do. But that's just me.
May 2nd, 2005, 12:08 AM
Original Poster

really? I thought it looked like it had the most to do. augh! maybe I should just visit several islands?

I am going to get a guidebook just on the islands.
May 2nd, 2005, 12:12 AM
Original Poster

ps. have you ever heard of "A Cozy Cottage" B&B? It's in James Bay, she said it's a ten minute walk into downtown, 3 minute walk to the ocean.

http://www.acozycottage.com/
May 2nd, 2005, 01:00 AM

No I haven't but I know the area which is residential/industrial. Would probably be fine. Might (or might not) get some noise from the ballpark nearby or from cruise ships, pilot boat and helicopters. I think many of these places list optimistic times for getting downtown, but if they consider the harbour as downtown, that would be about right. I like the locations of your other James Bay choices better - the ones on Medana, Michigan (Rosewood Inn) and Menzies.

You're right about Saltspring so don't let me put you off the idea. It's easy to get to, but note that if you take the ferry to Fulford, you'd be quite a distance from Ganges. There are nice views from the top of Mt. Tuam but I imagine it would take a while to hike. Sidney Island/Spit is more of a walking island but there's no town, no shopping.
http://www.vancouverisland.com/Parks...etails/?ID=453
May 3rd, 2005, 12:45 AM

If you don't have a car or bike when you arrive at Saltspring, you have to take a taxi into "town". It's a fairly substantial distance.