Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Apartment - Woollomooloo location. "safe"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am kind of kidding about the "safe" part (with all these recent posts). I won't be by myself, so I'm not too concerned.

The question is, does anyone know about this property specifically? I have done a search, but most comments are on the liverpool location, and I think the Woolloomooloo seems more desirable. I am not worried about being too close to the Rocks, etc. The only place I have to be close enough to is the American Consulate on Market Street.

Here is the link:

http://www.woolloomooloo-waldorf-apa....au/index.html

Any assistance would be much appreciated. The rate at the waldorf is substantially less than the cheap rate I got at the Marriott through a friend (on college road).
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM

Mina

The Waldorf apts in Liverpool were fine according to our mate Mucky (although - he IS Welsh!) - so those in the "Loo are probably fine as well. You know where they are, so, location-wise they're not too bad - you're not a first time visitor.

I'm a bit concerned as to why you need to be able to access the American consulate - are you planning to misbehave already? Will they bail you out if you do? Perhaps I should have a chat with the local cops and Dept Immigration - we organised the police to check Mucky out!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

lol Margo.

I'm not that familiar with Woolloomooloo, so I thought I'd ask. My friend in Sydney said it was fine, near Harry's (although I didn't ask about that specifically), although in the "dodgier" part of the 'loo - his words, not mine. He is recommending the Kirketon or the Medusa if the rate is right, as Darlinghurst is not far from where he lives.

As for the American Consulate...well, it's better to be safe than sorry. Just kidding.

I have to go to the Consulate because my boyfriend (from Adelaide) has his U.S. greencard interview there. He won the 2005 diversity lottery (where 50,000 greencards are given out at random), and will be finishing up the process in Sydney next month. That is the reason for my going...to give him support during the interview and to hopefully celebrate afterward (hence my earlier posts on Tetsuyas.)

So my two year long distance relationship with an Australian is finally coming to close...with hopefully a new beginning here in the states, as he plans to leave his beloved country to give my country (and me) and shot.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:09 AM

Thank you Margo, for ruining my reputation across the whole world.
The cops were there crazymina, unfortunately margo was not well when we visited or I would have sent them round to see her.
Next time we get to Sydney I will chuck her in the harbour (after she has shouted me the bottle of water she promised me of course)
Can't comment on the woooooloooooommmmmoooollooooo waldorf but liverpool st was ok and the Marriott was great too.

good luck

Muck
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mucky. I remember your trip, but I forgot you had stayed at the Waldorf on Liverpool.

Yeah, that Margo is sassy, isn't she?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Me - SASSY???

I'll have you know I'am a well brought-up, respectable, convent educated lady -....or I used to be!

Mucky - Killer Wales, I hear! and the Poms went down again!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM

Waldorf Liverpool St was fine when we stayed there last year (based on a reliable recommendation from Mucky!).

From my recollection of Sysney geraphy, it is much closer to Market Street (altho I don't know where the US Consulate is!)

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Market St is a few blocks north of Liverpool. The US Consulate is at Level 59, MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Place, which is about as central as you can get and two blocks north of Market. All too, too easy.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Hi Margo
Yes indeed what a perfect weekend, not only did Wales beat France but England lost 3 games on the trot !! Can life get any better?

We will play our scottish friends on Saturday, the result is important to the final table grand slam and triple crown etc, the most important thing to us all here is that England get the wooden spoon, however I think they will beat Italy so thats unlikely... never mind it is the best Welsh play for a long time.

Muck
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Mucky,
I notice you have not mentioned the Tsunami Benefit game - otherwise known as 'How the Southern Hemisphere showed the North How to Play Running Rugby"!!!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Hi Pru,
A great game for a great cause.But you must understand that we are so traumatised by wales winning 3/3 that we miss all else that goes on in the world...lol

Muck
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Yes, Mucky, as a true Rugby tragic I can fully understand!!!
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Mucky

waiting and watching for the match against the Scots!

Truly amazing so far!

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Will be watching it on TV with great interest!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:16 AM

me too !!!!