Search

Moving to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Sydney

I have two questions. I'm going to be going to the University of Technology, Sydney, how is the University thought of? Also, what is a good and at least somewhat affordable downtown neighborhood to live in?
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Hi, Snyky!<BR>The University of Technology is a fairly new university, having only gained that status about fifteen years ago... I think, before that, it was called the Institute of Technology. So it's a little early to start evaluating it in comparison to the other universities in Sydney. I think, however, that it is well-regarded.<BR>As far as accommodation is concerned, you're fortunately placed, as the University of Technology is only a stone's throw from Sydney Terminal Station. So, the day you arrive, you can check into one of several hostels in the area (the best being Sydney Central Youth Hostel)and then find more permanent accommodation without that desperate feeling of not having anywhere to rest your head. Since the University of Sydney is just up the road, there are lots of one-bedroom and studio flats to rent in the area, and the real estate agents are, I am sure, quite used to overseas students seeking six-month or twelve-month tenancies. You should have quite a bunch to choose from, and, if you don't mind a fifteen-minute walk to uni, you could always try the many agents along the Oxford St Darlinghurst area, as there seems no limit to the number of one-bedders around Goulburn St -- a great deal of building went on there prior to the Olympics, and now the over-committed-to-the-lenders landlords are all jumping out of windows because there's an oversupply and no one wants to rent from them. You will be welcomed with open arms... a few months ago the papers reported that landlords were offering a couple of months' free rent to people who'd sign up for the year! Remember, however, that if you leave the course and return home, you will still be legally committed to pay out the time remaining on your lease, so don't start off by signing a two-year commitment.<BR>Good hunting!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:06 PM

All good advice above from Alan. Just wanted to add that if you want to get to know people universities can put you in touch with reputable people with rooms.<BR><BR>I go to uni myself and have met international students who found nice cheap accomodations through the uni office. <BR><BR>To check out the renting situation go to http://www.domain.com.au/<BR><BR>Darlinghurst/Surry Hills are very close to UTS (as it's called) and have a great community/fun feel.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:23 PM

UTS has a good reputation particularly in technical areas and some business courses.<BR><BR>Steer clear of some parts of redfern,waterloo.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and great info.
Old Feb 15th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Where can I find a rating and status of the different uni's in Sydney? Thanks.