Need help finding small apt for 2 week Sydney stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:59 PM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help finding small apt for 2 week Sydney stay

Hi again Y'all

We're coming back to Australia for the entire month of September want to spend two weeks in Sydney seeing everything that we missed 2 years ago. We had such a great time and you all were so helpful with your suggestions.

Now, to start with, hubby and I are looking for a small apartment/suite (hopefully in the $500-$700 AUD per week) in or near Sydney center. We'd like to be able to go back after sightseeing all day and kick off our shoes and relax, maybe have a light breakfast and coffee in the morning and possibly a light meal occasionally in the evening.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your replies!!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:08 AM

Hi, LN!

Nice to hear from you again!

Your budget for the week speaks more of an apartment OUT of the city centre, but I am sure if the experts on this forum wrack their brains, they will come up with something. There is an apartment block called Napoleon-on-Kent which certainly fills the bill as far as location is concerned -- it's just at the back of Wynyard Subway Station, only a few minutes' walk from the Observatory and some of the very-desirable Rocks hotels (such as the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel, which is in the same street). About two years ago, they had a sign outside offering apartments for $AUD95 a night, but I haven't seen that sign lately, and the last time I mentioned it on this forum, the person who followed it up wrote back, disappointed, that she was quoted about $AUD130 a day (she finally found what she was after at an inner suburb called Randwick -- it's a pleasant area, but still a fifteen-minute bus ride to the city).

Anyway, you could do worse than contact the Napoleon on Kent people and ask them what they are willing to do for you. September is a pretty quiet month, tourist-wise, and they might be willing to meet your price. I have seen them on www.wotif.com, too, so if you wait another couple of weeks, you might be able to score a last-minute bargain.

You're wondering why they're so cheap, when everything else in that area is nearly twice the price, aren't you? Well, wait till you see it. It's fairly new, clean, modern, well-looked after.... and under the freeway! I swear to you that you could stand on the roof with a long handled broom and tap out morse code messages to the cars travelling overhead. How they ever got council approval to build it, I'll never know -- but it seems the Sydney council has decided that no longer do these under-freeway areas have to be "dead" space. Right opposite, and also under the freeway, is a child-minding centre! Now, there's nothing wrong with this, I suppose -- except for the fact that most of the rooms would never see the sun -- but it is a bit off-putting when you first see it. Hence the below-market-value rates. It might, however, be just what the doctor ordered when you're talking less than a hundred dollars a day for an apartment in the city!

Good luck -- now it's over to some other posters. If they can't come up with anything better, we can always look at the inner suburbs!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 12:38 AM

Hi LN,
Have a look at the Waldorf on Liverpool st, it may be the kind of thing you are looking for.
I have topped 3 threads all talking about Sydney apartments that have been knocking about here for some time.
They may help

Cheers

Muck
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 05:30 AM
LN
Original Poster

Thank you both for getting me off to such a good start!!

Alan, I am quite willing to go to the suburbs and come into town via bus, subway, or train. So Randwick or others will be seriously considered.

Hi Muck, Hope we can get as much enjoyment as you and your family did when you were in town! How are things going in Wales? I'll check out these postings you've added and see where it leads to. Again thanks.
Ellen
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:59 AM

We stayed in Coogee for a few days at the start of our trip and a couple of nights at the end. At the end of the trip, we had booked the Medina Coogee, which are serviced apartments. (We had tried to get in there at the start of the trip, but they were completely booked up.) We had booked a studio, which doesn't have a full kitchen, but was certainly sufficient - there was a fridge, microwave, coffee press, etc. There's also shared (free) laundry facilities down the hall. We had a little patio outside the door with chairs and table. There are also 1 and 2 bedroom apartments, with complete kitchens.

List price was not cheap, but I think they have specials and I think the rate at our place was about $115 AUD / night. I would definitely stay there again.

Coogee is a really nice area, in my opinion. It wasn't our first trip to Sydney (we were visiting family) and we loved being there. It was like being in a little seaside town, but right next to the city. We took the bus into the CBD a few times, but there are loads of restaurants in the area.

Medina has several serviced apartments in Sydney, so you can do a web search.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:25 PM

LN, if you don't mind leaving your booking to just before departure you may pick up a good deal at www.wotif.com, or at least identify some likely prospects that you can contact directly (I believe that sometimes this results in a lower rate than wotif's). At the moment The Wharf Apartments at 6 Cowper Wharf Rd Woolloomooloo are advertised on wotif at AU$130 (stated rack rate $180). This looks like a pretty good location that would fit the bill. Staying below $100 anywhere close to the City sounds like a hard ask, unless someone is prepared to offer a reduced rate for a guaranteed 2-week booking. I'd be inclined to fire off a few emails and explore that.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM

You might consider
the milson apartments
in north sydney or Kirribilli.Short train,bus or ferry ride to the city.

Certainly not as salubrious as the trendy inner city places but in your price range for a two week stay.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:47 PM
LN
Original Poster

I just knew that y'll would come through with some good ideas. Yes, I will plan on waiting longer to see if I can use Wotif or Needitnow sites for booking. And, John, yes I am looking into north shore condos for that time period since I really hate to come back to a "single" room each night(if you know what I mean) a small apt would seem so much nicer.

Neal, I'm also happy to see you reply as we'd like to visit your fair city of Canberra after Sydney. We'll need some of your expertise picking hotel/motels and again what kind of clothes to bring???

Here in Maryland we're wearing summer clothes as it is hot and humid so please prepare me as to whether to layer or bring some warmer clothes.

I'm really getting excited about this trip!!!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM

Hi again, LN!

I agree that the Milson Apartments would be wonderful, but you will find that you'll have to blow your budget, I think, as the best price I can find on them is $AUD120 night. (http://www.pacrimapartments.com.au/site/rates/). Interestingly, www.wotif.com.au wants a little more than this... it's usually very competitive.

The Randwick option I mentioned above is Randwick Lodge, and wotif tells us that for a seven-night stay there, you have to pay only $AUD78 a night. Now, this doesn't have the harbourside location, but Randwick is very accessible to the city, and I think the lodge is nicely-located opposite Centennial Park, so this would certainly be the budget choice... over a week the saving on the Milson would amount to almost $AUD300. For less than a week's stay you'd pay $99 a night.

I am still looking for other possibilities, and I hope you haven't given up on the peculiar Napoleon-on-Kent. If nothing else, it will make a great photo to show your disbelieving friends!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM

Glad to hear you'll be heading our way, LN. I'll put my thinking cap on in regard to accommodation - can I assume you'll be looking for something similar to Sydney?

Canberra's weather is unpredictable in spring. The official numbers for September are: average minimum 3C (37F), lowest recorded -6C (21F), average maximum 16C (61F), highest recorded 28C (82F). Average rainfall for month 53mm (2&quot but has been as high as 150mm and as low as 3mm. Often we get a balmy week that fools us into thinking that spring has sprung, only to revert to winter the next week. Whatever, you can bet on it being cooler than Sydney, as we're an inland city 578m (1900 ft) ASL at the airport. Pack something warm, but you might strike warm sunny days. Whatever the tenpreatures, though, the city will be looking good.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:04 PM

One final "Hi, LN!"

A few more for you to think about, all prices from a last-minute-type site which I found, called "check-in":

The Balmain Lodge, at 415 Darling St, has rooms for $AUD50 a night if you stay 7 nights. You'd share a bathroom with the adjoining room, however (with luck, it would be vacant). Balmain is a great suburb full of small cafes and antique shops... great to stroll around, and accessible to the city by either bus or ferry (the ferry is a downhill walk, which translates to an uphill walk when you're coming home at the end of the day).

The Azure Executive Apartments (40 Macleay St, Potts Point) are close enough to the CBD for you to walk, but the posh-sounding "Potts Point" is what the hotels call their address when they're just down the road from the less-exclusive-sounding King's Cross. Apartments here are $AUD80; King's Cross wouldn't be my choice for a couple of weeks, but you would at least find that there was always a 7-11 type store open nearby! Nothing ever closes up there, except when the police close it down!

Just nearby is the Roslyn Gardens Serviced Apartments, at 4 Roslyn Gardens, Elizabeth Bay. There aren't many gardens around Roslyn Gardens, but at $AUD99 a night, it fits your cost requirements.

Bondi Junction is a ten-minute train ride from Sydney and a ten-minute bus ride from Bondi Beach. There are two apartments in this area that fit your requirements: Meriton Tiffany (95 Grafton St, a very busy area) at $AUD99, and Bondi Apartments (212 Bondi Rd, heading towards the beach) at $AUD89.

But my own choice for you -- even though I don't know whether the rooms all have kitchens -- but this would be NICE place for a two-week stay, as you'd feel like a real Sydneysider, in a quiet, elegant suburban street with houses all around -- would be Cremorne Point Manor. This is a ferry ride from the city (only ten minutes), which is the nicest, most relaxing way to get around, especially in spring. I always thought this was an expensive night's accommodation, but at www.check-in.com.au they have rooms for $AUD90 a night. As a traditional guest-house facility, they will certainly have tea-making facilities and a communal dining room, but as for a kitchen in your suite -- well, they have their own website, if I recall, so you might check that out. It would certainly be a relaxing -- and "un-touristy" two weeks!

Whatever you choose, definitely wait until two weeks before you start and book through one of the last-minute sites, and you will stay under budget with no problems. Good luck!

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM

(I just can't stay away from this thread, can I?)

Yep, Cremorne Point Manor has a refrigerator in your room and a communal guest-kitchen and guest-laundry, which, after two weeks, you'd feel like you owned. Their website is www.cremornepointmanor.com.au/, and it is well-worth a visit. I really hope you go for this one... somehow I can see you and hubby buying your evening meal at a supermarket in Sydney, hopping on the Cremorne Ferry with your shopping bags, and ten minutes later strolling up from the wharf to your manor to cook your meal while you watch the sun set over the harbour. Can I come and visit? I'll bring sweets!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM

Alan et al,

We spent out last night in Sydney at the Cremorne Point Manor. While the location was great, esp the stroll down to the ferry, our room on the ground floor was poorly laid out , cramped and has only a small window with minimal daylight. I peeked at a room on the first floor which looked more spacious. If styaying there one would have to choose rooms carefully.

AndrewDavid
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 09:44 PM

Hi, Andrew! How are things in Santa Fe?

That's interesting news about the Cremorne Point Manor. My guess is that on these last-minute sites you don't get a chance to choose which room, regardless of which hotel we're talking about; you just pay the price and take your chance. If that's so, LN could perhaps ask for an upgrade on arrival, if necessary. Tell me, when you were there, was the Manor booked out or were there plenty of rooms available?
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:25 PM

LN
I believe the McClaren Hotel (boutique business hotel in nth sydney) runs a range of apartments and a budget hotel throughout the nth sydney area.
I have been told they are flexible on pricing...if you are interested see if they have something to offer at your price at the website Alan has noted above.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 11:30 PM

the McClaren runs the apartments under the milson apartments banner
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 01:18 AM

Hi Alan,
Was Cremorne point the place where you and your family saw the fireworks last New Years Eve?
The name is familiar to me.

Cheers

Rich
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:39 AM

Hi, Rich!!

LN's thread is getting to be like a class reunion, isn't it? (hope you don't mind, LN!) Yes, Cremorne Point is a great place for the fireworks, as it's just a few minutes by ferry from Circular Quay. In ambience, however (as AndrewDavid will attest) it could be a half-world away... it's a very quiet, laid-back spot which hasn't changed much, really, in the fifty-or-so years since I first saw it. Only a short drive (or ferry trip) to Taronga Zoo, too.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 06:33 AM
LN
Original Poster

Do I mind having you all join in on this? Of course not!! I'm enjoying every new posting - thanks so very much Alan - you are a gem and please we'd love to see you when we're there! Talking with everyone over time makes one think they've known the posters as old friends doesn't it?

I have sent some e-mails to some of these mentioned as well as some noted on Sydney apartments. Hopefully I'll have some answers this week.

Neil, we'll be able to stay in Canberry a few days so I gather I can spring for a bit more for a shorter time.

AndrewDavid - thanks for your input - if I choose Cremorne I'll request an upgrade and as you well know we need all the help we can get. I'd like to get back to your Santa fe again too - great town!! We stayed right off the square - near the Inn of the Anasazi - place was called Hotel Plaza Real - I believe - but that was about 10 years ago.

Susan - I check Coogee and they're at $150 a nite now - but I'll keep it in mind.

John_AU - I'll look into the McLarens as well - I'm getting some great assistance aren't I?

Another question for you - it came to mind looking at all the great ideas Alan has given me - perhaps we would be better to stay one week at a given apartment and then move to another for the following week. We will be in Sydney and surrounds for almost 3 weeks.
Ellen
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:29 AM

Medina has their own website, but for some reason I can't find it now when I google. But they have several apartments throughout Australia (the majority in Sydney), and they had page on their website with specials. If you can find the website, it might be worthwhile to check that. It didn't work out for us, because we were there over Easter, but it might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -