What and Where to buy in NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be touring around the South Island.
Any recommendations for best places to shop for NZ stuff such as manuku honey, local food produce and what else?? I mean, if you can advise specifically which places sells cheaper and what is only available locally.....etc etc etc......I'll be more than delighted. Is Queenstown a better (and cheaper) place to shop than Christchurch? Is Queenstown shopping really open 7x24? (that's what I read somewhere....)
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 11:51 AM

We stopped at Hokitika (not far from Greymouth) and my son was absolutely fascinated by the glass blowing. We bought a little blue penguin and later in the trip (as we saw yellow eyed penguins) we decided to buy a little yellow glass penguin - they were twice the price!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Hi. The cheapest places to buy Manuka Honey are actually the supermarkets - any of the main supermarket chains, such as New World, Pak'n Save etc. Queenstown is very expensive - prices are high because it's full of tourists who can afford the prices. Christchurch is cheaper to shop in than Queenstown
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:48 AM

What is manuku honey?
How is it different from bee honey?
(Sorry if this is a dumb question...)
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM

There is no such thing as manukau Honey - It's manuka Honey. Manukau - is a city near Auckland. Manuka is the maori name for a type of wood. The honey is infused with smoke from the burning manuka wood and give it a very nice subtle taste.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
KT

Another really delicious NZ honey (in my opinion) is tawari honey.

I agree with Zavier's advice on where to shop. And Queesntown's not only full of tourists but also of rich folks with big houses nearby -- thus it's not the most competitive area, price-wise.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Where are the best places to shop and eat around Oxford Terrace?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:34 AM

While we're on the subject, where is the best place to buy sheepskin clothing items such as coats?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Thanks for that, Zavier - I'd just assumed that manuka honey was so named because the bees collected the nectar from manuka flowers!

Should I mention the nipple and navel warmers, not to mention larger items, made from a blend of wool and possum fur? OK, I will.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 02:41 PM

For sheepskin goods, they will be very expensive in tourist shops. Best bet is to go to a clothing store and ask who they reccommend. Or look in the yellow pages for a factory shop
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, and sorry for the 'manuku' mistake \embarrassed\

How about chocolates and cheeses? which brands are good and are they also available in supermarkets or should I need to find their boutique stores?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Speaking of chocolates, does anyone know where to buy Teuscher Chocolates of Switzerland in Christchurch or Queenstown?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Cadbury, Toblerone and Nestle are all sold in supermarkets and are not expensive. You can do a tour of the Cadbury chocolate factory in Dunedin and their gift-shop has heavily discounted prices. BTW - It IS the Manuka pollen that the honey-bees eat that gives Manuka honey it's name and flavour. The manuka wood smoke process I was thinking of is actually the process for smoking Trout - another New Zealand delicacy! So now it's me who's embarrased.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM

PS - most supermarkets carry a large range of cheese - they have many types - both mainstream and special - and it's all GOOD.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Oh Zavier!

Where can we try that manuka smoked trout? Is it available frozen in supermarkets?

Heard about a P&L ??? a nz drink or something? any idea?

Please please tell me more .... that can stuff my mouth with. LOL
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM

Unfortunately, you can't buy trout in shops. You have to purchase a fishing licence and catch it. You could try fly-fishing the Tongariro River or trolling for trout in nearby Lake Taupo. Some hotel restaurants in that area may serve it, such as "Tongariro Lodge" or perhaps "the Grand Chateau" on the slopes of Mt Ruhepehu. Now, L&P is a canned or bottled fizzy drink, like lemonade, but brown and sweet. quite refreshing. L&P stands for Lemon and Paeroa. Paeroa is a place, not an ingredient.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Before that, I knew L is for Lemon, but what's with P? So, there's the answer. I remembered by P&L cos it's syn with 'profit & loss'.

Won't have time for fishing. The trouts should be grateful I'll be sparing their lives.....

Back on the topic, any other suggestions? \wink\

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 04:30 PM

No other food suggestions really - all the food is great here. If you have the time while you're in christchurch, bok dinner on the tram - it's a restaurant Tramcar that slowly does laps through the central city, over the rivers etc while you get served a delicious 3 course meal on board. dress formal. Also, take the gondola up into the hills above Christchurch for dinner at the skyline restaurant - more great pacific rim food and views of the city and port sparkling far down below. If you have the time, I'd also reccommend taking the Tranz-Alpine express train over the southern alps on a day-trip from Christchurch to Greymouth and back. It's a 9 hour complete trip. Amazing views of gorges, viaducts, lakes, forrests, mountains and small towns. And you can stand outside in an open-air car on the train to take in the breeze and get great pics! (a bit sooty out there going through tunnels though!)
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Thank you.
The TramCar and gondola sound neat.
Is the Antarctic Center worth taking the time to visit? (We'd originally vetoed it but their website looks intriquing.)
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:11 PM

I would reccommend the Antarctic centre for 2 reasons.... the static displays were a but boring for me - but, they have a snow rom you can suit-up and go into. It's freezing and filled with snow and you can walk round in it and stand in front of a large fan which simulates a blizzard of minus 30 degrees! The 2nd reasojn I'd reccommend it, is for the Hagglund ride - these cute little buggies with catapillar tracks that go out onto a really steep and windy track - it's a great ride and they even float in the lake! And they have a large gift-shop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -