Search

Vahine Island Resort?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Kim

Vahine Island Resort?

Hi-<BR><BR>Just beginning the honeymoon destination search, and debating FP or Fiji. <BR><BR>Hidden Tahiti says this resort may be the best for honeymoons in all of FP, but I'd like to hear from any of you who've been there?<BR><BR>Also open to suggestions...<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>-Kim

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Tiffany

You might find some information about this resort on the www.tahiti-explorer.com message boards. I have read very little about the place in two years but it seems like I remember that it needed remodeling. I might be wrong and it may have been remodelled by now. IMHO the Sauvage would be the ultimate for a honeymoon (that and the Sofitel Motu on Bora Bora). I have pictures, video and reviews on my website.<BR><BR>www.tahiti.wunschl.com<BR><BR>If you have any questions, please send me an e-mail through the website.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 12:00 PM
M McConahay

I would absolutely recommend Vahine Island Resort. We honeymooned for a week there in June 2000 and it was our favorite over Bora Bora and Huahine. <BR><BR>We've traveled all over 6 continents and prefer to find the local culture away from the tourists without sacrificing the comfort. Vahine was this and more.<BR><BR>There are only 9 bungalows and the busiest night had only 5 couples. During most days it felt like we had the island to ourselves since others would take day trips over to Tahaa to visit the vanilla plantations or boats to snorkle along other parts of the lagoon. There was good snorkling just a few steps from our fare. <BR><BR>We had one of the three over-the-water bungalows which had much more aquatic activity and more privacy than similar <BR>ones we saw on Huahine and Bora Bora. From our veranda we saw beautiful sunsets over Bora Bora and watch the changing colors of the lagoon and the forests on Tahaa.<BR><BR>Dinner was served at a set time in the evenings and most of the couples would gather before in the bar/game room/lounge bungalow and socialize. The chef created french gourmet meals with the flavor of Tahiti. The fish would be fresh that day from the lagoon. He made excellent use of the locally grown vanilla and fruits. I still long for the fresh vanilla yogurt served at breakfast and the pineapples that were just picked from a tree on Tahaa a few hours before.<BR><BR>The only negatives I can say are there isn't an exciting nightlife or lots of shopping. All the other couples there during our week were honeymooners, mostly from the US but a few from Europe, and we were all happy with the quiet for ourselves. Different couple's personalities would probably change the atmosphere.<BR><BR>Also the rooms are not as super luxurious as some of the other islands. The rest of the island made up for that in our opinion.<BR><BR>Vahine is perfect if you want personal attention, wonderful food and lots of slow relaxing time to swim, snorkle, sun and enjoy the other pleasures of a honeymoon. <BR><BR>We have a few pictures of our stay on our website under the Tahiti section.<BR><BR>http://www.uri.edu/library/staff_pages/teliha/telihaj/travel.htm<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:41 PM
anon

Hi M - enjoyed reading your recommendation. Do have a correction - pineapples do not grow on trees - they grow on bushes.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Kim

Wow, thanks for the excellent information! You both have phenomenal websites and have been VERY helpful!<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR>Kim

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 04:07 PM
DJ

Kim, Another destination you might want to look into is the Yasawa Resort in Fiji. It's on a beautiful little island about 25 minutes by small plane from Nadi on the main island. It has 16 bures on the beach which are well appointed and the restaurant served excellent food. There are no other resorts on the island only a couple of villages with wonderful friendly locals. The guests also gather in the evenings in the lounge area where you can socialize if desired. Lots of water activities, easy hiking, etc. or you can just hang out in your hammock in front of your bure and relax or read a book. Checkout their website: www.yasawa.com