Search

Best walks in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 02:20 PM
bist_m

Best walks in Sydney

Can someone tell us the best walks to take in Sydney ? We are not scread to take long walks and most places we have been to we at least walk 4-5 hrs a day.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:58 PM
john

Clontarf to Manly<BR>Rocks to Mrs Macquaries chair<BR>South head loop<BR>Palm Beach to top of Barrenjoey.<BR>Central station to SCG(and then watch a little cricket)<BR>Bradleys head/zoo<BR>Blue Gum forest Blue mountains.<BR>Basin to &quot;aboriginal carvings&quot;<BR>Central-glebe-sydney uni-newtown.<BR><BR>as has been said here before sydney ferries has a booklet describing some great ferry trips and walks

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:44 PM
J

The Bondi to Coogee cliff walk is excellent! you can finish with a beer at the Coogee Bay hotel beer garden.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Excited

&quot;J&quot; We are also interested in walks but my husband travels by wheelchair with me pushing. Is the walk from Bondi to Coogee paved so we can do it? Having a beer to top it off sounds lovely.<BR><BR>Thanks and sorry &quot;bist&quot; for cutting in on your question.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Debbie

Hi!<BR>Do a search for Alan Jarman. He's recommended a few wonderful walks on this forum ;-)<BR><BR>Debbie

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Alan

Hi, bist_m!<BR>Thanks for the &quot;plug&quot;, Debbie, but, really, the only addition I can think of to John's excellent list above is my own favourite walk, the Spit Bridge to Manly walk (bus from Wynyard to the Spit, ferry back to Sydney from Manly), which, at about 4 hours (plus a lunch stop at the aboriginal carvings site), would be right up bist_m's alley.<BR>My main reason in answering this post was to address Excited's question about wheelchair access, as this exact question cropped up here about three months ago, and I recall looking up a few websites that were useful. Excited, browse through www.geocities.com/Paris/1502/travelbooks.html, where you will find links to such useful publications as &quot;Easy Access Australia&quot;, &quot;A Wheely Good Access Guide to Sydney&quot; and &quot;Wheelie's Handbook of Australia&quot;. You really do need these, as Sydney's attention to the needs of disabled travellers has only really taken off since preparation for the Olympics, so there are a lot of newly-opened-up areas that your hotel may not know about. Also, look at www.accessibility.com.au/sydney/sydney.htm. As you will see, we're not yet perfect, but we're getting better!

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:55 PM
J

Excited, yes the walk is paved but part of it involves stairs. I think you could probably takes roads around the stairs part, but I would check one of the books recommended for travellers in wheelchairs. Sydney is fairly disabled-accessed except for trains &amp; some older buses.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Excited

Thank you Alan and J. - have been reading your posts and am getting wonderful information.<BR><BR>Bist_m, thank you for your question and I hope this brought it to the top again for some more suggestions. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Steve

I too must recommend Alan Jarman. Alan recommended the Spit to Manly walk to us for our trip to Oz back on August. It was fantastic! This is a must, the views are spectacular. Plan several hours as you will want to make many stops to just take everything in.<BR><BR>Alan sorry we have not posted a trip report yet, but everything you recommended was right on!. We are coming back in April for another 3 weeks. We really do intend to post a trip report, just as soon as life slows down a tad