Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas for exotic, tropical, romantic honeymoon destinations!

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Europe and US site a lot but now I get to plan a honeymoon so here I am!

We are looking for some places to dive, lounge on the beach, relax, get pampered, etc. We don't want to be in a city or tour museums for this trip. I'm thinking a few islands that we can go to over a 2 to 3 week time period. We'd like to splurge on one location and get an over the water bungalow. I'm interested in possibly some islands that aren't done as much like Rangoria (sp?).

What do you think? Suggestions.....ideas....etc.....

Thanks!

Wendy
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Wendy, do you mean Raratonga? In the Cook Islands? I've heard its lovely, you could also try the Whitsunday Islands in Australia. Lots of islands to choose from, Fantasea run ferries between all the resort islands and you can camp on some of the deserted ones (with a permit). Fly in to Proserpine then get a ferry from Shute Harbour/Airlie Beach or fly direct into Hamilton Is. A few names for you to search on are Hayman, Daydream, Hamilton, Bedarra, Orpheus, Lindeman.
Fiji might be another idea.
Have fun planning!
Kay
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:27 AM

Might also mean Rangiroa in French Polynesia. You can pair that up with Huahine and Bora Bora and make a few weeks out of it with a little variety. If you're into the secluded experience, stay at Kia Ora Sauvage on Rangiroa. It's a little island all to itself, no electricity, I think it accomodates 12 people total, the owners make your meals for you.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Definitely look into Bora Bora for part of your trip. My husband and I stayed a week at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort a couple years ago and it was one of the best weeks of of my life. Totally relaxing. Definitely not much to do but the scenery is amazing. We had an over the water bungalow at the end of the pontoon (be sure to ask for one) and looking out all we saw was water and the island (the resort is on its own motu in the lagoon). Spent a week snorkeling and lazing the sun together.

The food was good and but there isn't a lot to choose from however overall we loved it. At the time we thought it was a bit expensive but looking back, I don't remember how much those tropical drinks were but I will never forget our week in paradise.

Have fun!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions, thank you!

Anyone with comments regarding deciding between Bora Bora, Marquesas, Rangiroa, Moorea, etc. What kind of weather would we expect in Sept? Is there anyway to pick a few islands that are pretty quiet and secluded and maybe one island that has a bit of nightlife? Not talking Cabo- ish but just a bit of nice restuarants, piano type bars, etc?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM

Wendy,
We went in September and the weather was perfect, high 80s and sunny by day, probably 70s at night. Rained one day but cleared up by afternoon.

Didn't go to any of the other islands so can't help you there.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Yes, Bora Bora is amazing and the new Pearl Resort in Tahaa is fantastic!
The weather is very unpredictable but Sep. is in the drier season. Don't expect any kind of nightlife outside your resort in any island in the Sth. Pacific. This is beauty and romance at it's best, but no party town!
And yes, check-out the board in tahiti-explorer.com, they do have the best info by far.