Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Fiji, Tahiti, or one of the smaller islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I am currently planning my honeymoon and am very interested in the south pacific islands... I have got a lot of information as far as tahiti, fiji and the surrounding islands, but I want someone other that a travel agent's opinion. Which islands are cheaper? Which are more beautiful? Which cultures are more friendly? Which offer more to do? If anyone could give me some information on which of these islands are their favorite as well as some financial advice i would REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Hi and congrats! My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Moorea, Bora Bora and Rangiroa last fall......mmmmmmm...we talk about it constantly.

What do you want to do/see/experience? Are you divers? Our absolute favorite experience was staying 2 nights at the Kia Ora Savage on Rangiroa. One small island, 12 guests, no electricity, heaven on earth!

You can get a TON of info from Tahiti travelers on www.tahiti-explorer.com

btw- none of the islands are any cheaper than the other. They are all quite spendy. Each is different and beautiful in their own way. We thought Moorea to be the most lush and tropical although others will say Bora Bora. Rangiroa is the least touristy and we heard that Ta'ahh and Fakavara (sp?) are also still remote and off the beaten path!
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM

The Cook Islands are cheaper and nearly as nice. They are a little cooler during the "winter" (June-Aug) and not quite as beautiful (close though). Found the people to be VERY friendly and the fact that they all speak English helps a bit too. Same general type of scenery and environments (lagoons, motus, lush green mountains).

All in all, our preferred destination - in part because we can stay longer for the same amount of cash.

Ken
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:28 PM
ALF

Another vote for the Cooks. As noted above, the people are friendlier, and all costs (except perhaps airfare) are less. It is tough to beat Bora Bora for spectacular scenerey, but the Cooks' Aitutaki Island comes in a close second.

Fiji is great too, and there is probably a wider variety of activities and range of accommodations, compared to the Cooks or FP.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Actually it might not be the "prettiest" type of spectacular, but the "dramatic" type of spectacular is Niue, by far. The blow holes and caves just are totally unique.

In terms of combinations of cost and beauty, both Samoa and Tonga have lots to offer. Fiji and Cooks are well discussed here. With possibly only Tahiti being a possible exception, any of these islands can be had cheaply with some hostels, but you want something nice for your money.

More beautiful? They almost all have something to offer. The best is somewhat a personal choice. More friedly? All of it's about "the Pacific way". More to do? Fiji is probably the most well rounded for the money, with French Poly there as well. But don't write off some of the others as well. Places like Solomons, Kiribati, and Tuvalu may not give you what you want though if it's a lot of night life and resorts.

I think stormygirl is right - you need to describe more about what you want.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 08:48 PM
TahitiTams

Hi,
I got married on Moorea so I am partial but I have been to Fiji and I was creeped out by all the sea snakes that were in the water where I was snorkeling and then at night come up on land and I just couldn't deal with that.. Fijian's are lovely people and Tahitian's are sweet as well but it is much more costly to stay in Moorea but it is visually stunning.. Great package deals with Air Tahiti Nui from LAX and also Hawaiian Air with hotel..I have stayed at the Sofitel Ia Ora and was very happy there and if you want cheap go to Cook's Bay at the Club Bali Hai..Great restaurants with the Blue Pineapple and Alfredo's.. Good Luck to you and your husband... I have heard mixed on Bora Bora on the prices are out of this world but good things about the other Tahitian Islands..The Happy Hour at the Bali Hai in Moorea is a blast..

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Well... snakes SCARE me so one island that has not as many to none would be the best! I think what we are looking for is something a little more remote and romantic... but we don't want to get bored either... so we don't want something completely remote. The beautiful sightseeing is a plus. Diving is not important as we have both never done it before... so I am sure wherever we go will be breathtaking. Thanks again