Trip itinerary-Sydney Melbourne Tasmania

Old Oct 18th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip itinerary-Sydney Melbourne Tasmania

We are planning a trip to Sydney, Melbourne and Tasmania. We will have a rental car in Tasmania. We like both culture and nature.
Presently we have 5 days in Sydney, 5 in Melbourne and 5 in Tasmania, but are considering adding/modifying that agenda.
In Tasmania:
Hobart, 1 night, Strahan, 1 night Cradle Mountain Lake St Clair National Park 3 nights

WE would appreciate any suggestions,
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 10:28 AM

I would definitely add more time to Tasmania. When we visited Tasmania, we only had 5 days and it was not nearly enough time. There is so much worth seeing which you have not included--Port Arthur, Huon Valley, etc. In order to add more time for Tasmania, I would take away 1 day each from Sydney and Melbourne. You can easily see both of those cities well in 4 days. (In fact, I'd say you could see Melbourne well in 3 days.)
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, We were leaning that way, what about the Blue Mountains? Should we keep 5 days in Sydney to see the Blue Mountains??
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No. The Blue Mountains can be a day trip. Three days in Sydney will allow you to see the highlights, do one of our lovely coastal or Harbour walks.

Same as with Melbourne. You could see the city itself in 2-3 days and do a day trip ( take a tour) to the Great Ocean Road, Yarra Valley, Mornington Peninsula or Philip Island.

It always seems a little lopsided to me to allocate the same amount of time to a city as to a whole State.

Seven days in Tasmania will give you a chance to catch your breath & soak in some of the sights in our exquisite & diverse island State.
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 01:30 PM

When are you coming?

This may have done bearing on what you do in Tasmania
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

The middle of May
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 03:29 PM

Personally, I would spend more time on the Great Ocean Road instead of Melbourne and in Tasmania.Last year, we spent 3 nights on the GOR and LOVED seeing the koalas in trees,the lighthouse,kangas on the golf course,etc.
My daughter and I did two weeks in Tasmania this spring with 3/4 nights in each area. You need at least two nights at Cradle Mountain if you are even going to hike around the lake there (stay in your own cabin there to enjoy the beauty and animals);2/3 nights in the Freycinet National Seashore Park area (Coles Bay or Swansea are good spots to stay),2 nights down at Port Arthur and 2/3 nights in Hobart for the great restaurants and museums.
The distances for driving are far from each other in both Australia and in Tasmania so allow time to stop and enjoy the scenery!
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 03:35 PM

I wanted to add that Tasmania is a beautiful country and should NOT BE done as just a few day add on.
Old Oct 18th, 2014, 06:11 PM

Errrr ... Dutyfree: Tasmania is not a country. It is an Australian State.
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 07:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree with redistributing a bit. 2-3 days each city, 1-2 days for a trip out from each and the rest could be added to your country road trip in Tasmania. Road trips can be exhausting if you're dashing around. The city highlights in both cases can be managed in a shorted timeframe... but you can't just abbreviate a road trip in progress very easily.
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 11:06 PM

Bokhara2-as someone who has a history degree with an emphasis on British Empire and Commonwealth history and prides herself on knowing geography, I am begging for your forgiveness? Of course it isn't a separate country but I guess I was so excited about suggesting that they spend more time there that it slipped my mind.Mea culpa....
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 11:47 AM

dutyfree, you are forgiven, just this one time though

Yes Tasmania definitely needs more than 5 days. It will be cold in May so bring appropriate clothing.