The Rainbow Coast, Western Australia photos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I'd post a link to some photos from our four night trip down south last week in lieu of torturing you all with another one of my trip reports.

Spring has definitely sprung; the flies were their usual irritating selves and something in the air set off the worst case of allergies I've ever had, so we lacked our usual walking mojo, choosing laziness instead.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/melnq8...7648419107050/
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So lovely I can feel the sand between my toes and the sun on my back. Getting excited about my upcoming trip.
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 11:07 AM

Hi Melnq8, thanks for posting those beautiful pix. We loved Australia and NZ, and always enjoy reading your TRs. But writing them is very time consuming, we know.

Did we pick up on one of your posts that you guys may be moving back to the US? Colorado? Keep us posted.

How are your plans for December coming along?

We returned a few weeks ago from our month-long trip to the Alps, followed by a few days in Paris. Then we came home to a family tragedy: two nephews killed in an airplane crash. A huge impact on the whole family. Out-of-town house guests, etc., etc. We're still catching up with ourselves, and haven't had time to post a TR. We did keep a daily journal, but it will have to be edited.

We appreciated the info provided by you and other Fodorites in planning our travels. Overall, it was a tremendous trip!
Old Oct 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

eliztravels2 - I'll look forward to a full report upon your return!

tomarkot - I'm so very sorry, I can't imagine coming home to such tragic news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I'd very much like to hear about your adventures if you find the time and energy. I'm still plowing through a TR from my Sept trip to NZ with my brother, will post it if I ever finish.

Yes, looks like CO is in our very near future. I so dread the actual moving bit that I've tried to put it out of my mind.

December is booked and in a pile on the floor next to me. We've decided on five nights in Freiburg (Germany), seven nights in Scuol (Engadine, Switzerland) and seven nights in Blankenburg (near Gstaad, Switerland), plus an overnight in Singapore en route (just the transit hotel, won't leave the airport).

I'm glad you hear you enjoyed your trip.
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 05:08 PM

Hello Melnq8,

Thanks for your kind words of sympathy. Support from friends really helps.

We'll look forward to hearing about your Sept. trip to NZ. We know what you mean about finding the time.

Facing a major move must be daunting!!! Other than the work and energy output required, settling all major stuff, etc. etc. we're wondering how you feel about returning to CO. We're Midwesterners who have loved traveling to CO, enjoying so much of the beauty around the state, including lots of hiking and skiing. But it's quite a different thing to be making a major move there.

Glad your December trip is coming together!
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Daunting indeed...big international move, returning home after 15 years overseas, and potentially moving to an area we've not lived in since 1982 is proving quite stressful.

Throw in limited time for house hunting (before our shipment arrives), dealing with items left in storage for the past 15 years, buying cars, and the whole retirement juggernaut..you can see why I'm trying not to think about it!
Old Oct 21st, 2014, 06:21 PM

Well understood, Melnq8. We'll let future communications dwell on travel.

Switzerland and Germany for Christmas sound wonderful!
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 08:21 PM

Loved your photos, Mel. As usual, fantastically clear photos. Was that a perentie I saw in several photos or some other lizard?

Life on this forum won't be the same without you. Retirement isn't too bad - yet! We are trying to pack up our home to relocate 4 hours away, and finding that quite traumatic, so I can understand your stress.

Dot
Old Oct 22nd, 2014, 08:56 PM

Lovely pictures Mel. I recognized some of those beautiful places. We loved WA - you're lucky to have lived there. Hope your move goes smoothly. Maybe we'll see you in CT?
Old Oct 23rd, 2014, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dot -

I don't think they're perenties, but can't swear to it. I saw a perentie up north once and it was considerably bigger than these. I think these were your garden variety goannas.

Moving is a pain, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Good luck with yours.

Could happen Ralph, you never know!