The old Daintree Eco Lodge/ Silky Oaks Question

Feb 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

The old Daintree Eco Lodge/ Silky Oaks Question

Hi all!

Everyone has been so wonderful about answering questions that we have decided to revise our itinerary. Rather than go out to Dunk Island for five nights and spend five nights in Port Douglas, we are considering spending three nights at an upscale (ie more expensive) resort in Daintree and seven nights based in Port Douglas at Hibiscus apartments. In Port Douglas we'll do all our snorkling/scuba trips and explore.

I have read a lot of posts on Silky Oaks but not many on Daintree Eco Lodge. Has anyone stayed there?

We are looking to experience the rainforest and relax while at the resort. Daintree Eco has a good package that includes an evening and morning river cruise and full day rainforest tour. Silky's package is slightly cheaper but only includes the day tour.

Anyone have an opinion on the two?
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM

Hi There, whilst I can't vouch from personal experience, I did a search on silky oaks in this forum, and the responses I received, convinced me to book at Silky as opposed to Daintree.
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:18 PM

We have stayed at both Silky Oaks and Daintree Eco Lodge. I would think of renting a car if you were staying at either because they are a little way out of either Mossman in the case of Silky Oaks or Daintree Village in the case of Daintree Eco Lodge. There is better access to the Daintree River for river tours and also for rainforest day tours from Daintree Eco Lodge. The day tours usually include an abreviated river tour as part of the itinery.
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sunfish! Did you like the accomedations at Daintree? I read a few negative posts on Daintree, but have been leaning torwards it because of its rainforest location and access.

We will be renting a car for sure!
Feb 9th, 2004, 11:47 PM

We stayed at the Daintree over Xmas and it was good. Cozy little place to relax and chill out. The accomodation is clean and quiet, it's right in the rainforest, so you can enjoy that whole junglbe vibe, just sitting on the porch of your room.
The rooms aren't luxurious, but it's big and clean. The bathrooms were a bit small, though...

If you want to look around, renting a car would be highly reccomended, since there isn't anything around the lodge within decent walking distance.

We also stayed at the Hibiscus Gardens.
We found it great value. It was in walking distance from the main street of Port Douglas and very convinient.
Since we stayed in the spa room, we were on the first floor, so the mosquitoes (or whatever the bugs were) bothersome...try to get rooms on other floors, if you don't like getting bit.
(but then again, if you want the spa room, they told us it's only on the ground floor.)
Feb 10th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Hi Punky
Tomoko makes a good point here, Silky Oaks is 4 times the size of the Daintree Eco Lodge which is a "cozy little place". Silky Oaks has the infrastructure to go with a bigger resort however that the Eco Lodge does not. There are good rainforest walks that border Silky Oaks and the view over the Mossman River from the building that the restaurant is in is stunning. When referring to lodges in the Daintree I wish people would say their full name; there is the Daintree Eco Lodge, the Daintree Wilderness Lodge and the Daintree Heritage Lodge and they are all different.
Feb 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hi Punky,
This info may help you.
Have just been advised by a friend that Daintree Eco Lodge has won the Conde Nast Travellers Award for the Best Spa in Australia and South Pacific. This is a very prestigious award and Silky Oaks wasn't even in the final 10.
Good luck with your decision making,I know only too well how difficult it can be.
Feb 11th, 2004, 06:13 PM

just in case you are unaware (and unless they have instituted a new award system), conde nast traveler sends a survey to subscribers and asks that they fill out their favorites and provides the choice of properties in a multiple selection. chances are that if a property has a slick ad in the magazine they are on the pre-printed form.
anyone can rate any property for any reason. even if they haven't been there but have read about it in the magazine- see where i am going with this?

my point is: it's not as though this is some scientific survey measuring certain standards in cleanliness, etc. such as a mobile ratings guide. it's totally subjective.

i found the food at silky oaks outstanding and the nature outside the dining hall fabulous, but we were just there for lunch on our way to cape trib.
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help!

While staying at the resort we want to do the day rainforest tour, evening croc-spotting cruise, an early morning cruise and enjoy the spa.

We are leaning torwards Daintree because it seems like a more true "rainforest" like experience.

I know Silky Oaks has more resort amenities, but is there anything else we would be missing? Or is Daintree a better experience for all the rainforest stuff?

We would like to see Mossman too, so while in Port Douglas for a week we where thinking of driving up to Mossman and having dinner at Silky Oaks.

Opinions?
Feb 11th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Punky - I live in Cairns and whilst I know the grounds and restaurant areas of the two I can't tell you about the rooms. We've have had a lot of guests who have stayed at both - Silky Oaks is the preferred of the two. The restaurant is beautifully situated and looks down over rainforest and river. Another one to look at could be Bloomfield Wilderness Lodge - it's just north of Cape Tribulation and reachable only by seaplane - a real wilderness resort.
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Anyone have any idea as to the cost of meals at Daintree Eco Lodge? Silky Oaks includes dinner but Daintree doesn't.

We will have a car, but our thought is to escape to a rainforest setting to relax before hitting Port Douglas/ Cairns. So we'd like to stay at our hotel probably.
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Hi Punky,

The last time we had dinner at the Daintree Eco Lodge the main courses were about AU$30 and the wines were expensive.

Almost next door is the Daintree Tea House which has excellent food in a very nice tropical setting.

Tiny Daintree Village is only a couple of minutes drive away and meals at the Daintree Store are quite reasonably-priced but they stop taking orders at 7.30pm. There is a coffee shop which also opens on Friday and Saturday nights.

Hope you have a great time wherever you decide to stay!
Feb 13th, 2004, 01:56 PM

Go to www.daintreerivertours.info/dining.html and see all the local restaurants and links to their web sites if they have one. The main one in the village is called Jacana's, after the bird, and take last orders at 7.30pm in the off season.
Feb 13th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Hello,
Not to confuse the issue, but has anyone stayed at the Daintree Heritage Lodge (20 or 24 cabins) which was recommended to us as a good base for exploring?

Thanks,
AndrewDavid
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM

yes, andrew david-
we had a bad experience at our b and b in cape trib and pulled in late at night to daintree heritage lodge in desperation. we were so happy!
the room was large, if dark, but with a modern headboard/bed and a nice bathroom.
when we woke the next morning we were amazed at the giant plant leaves by our front porch- they were prehistorically large and really memorable.
it was too cool for a swim, but we did hike their great nature trail before setting off again. we also recall a really nice breakfast included in the rate.
it was not, as i recall, near to any sort of restaurant, so i'm not sure if i would base myself there for a week, but if you use it for a day trip up to cape trib or the "end of the pavement" i think you've made a practical and logical choice for a night or two.
Feb 14th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Hi kerikeri
What was the bad experience at the Cape tribulation B&B?
Feb 16th, 2004, 07:33 AM

We went to Australia on our honeymoon and went throught this same question. We selected Silky. We loved it! The rooms are AMAZING! The service was great! The day trips they set up for us were some of the best on our trip.

Go Silky!