Reload this Page >

Silky Oaks or Daintree Eco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 04:32 AM
Mary Ann

Does anyone know the pros or cons of the these two resorts? Is one better than the other? If so, why? We are trying to decide where to reserve for a treetop visit. <BR>Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 07:12 AM
KIM

Dear MaryAnn, <BR>I was hoping that someone would reply to your message because I have the same question. Did you make your decision yet? I am leaning toward the daintree eco lodge because they both seem very close in quality and activities, but the eco lodge seems to be a better deal. Please let me know your thoughts. <BR>Thank you. <BR>Kim

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 06:44 PM
Patrick

We stayed at both three years ago. there was no comparison. While both were nice, Silk Oaks was spectacular!!! I would go back there anytime.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 10:35 PM
Anna

We stayed at Silky Oaks in December - I thoroughly recommend it!

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Mary Ann

Patrick & Kim - People just do not seem to respond as much on this forum as Europe. We have not made a final decision yet. Frommers gives Eco a higher preference, but does not say why. That is what I was wonderfing from you Patrick, What was better about Silky oaks? The rainforest area? The treetop cabins? The food? The Guides/tours? Why did you think Silky was spectacular? I also got a response for a trave agent Sharon Down Under whcih from discussion in the office, gave Eco a higher rating saying it was a better rainforest experience, plus cheaper. Price is not the point though, we figure we will only spend 48 hours traveling (round trip) once and would like to stay at the best all around experience place. <BR>Thanks for you help, I was grateful that people finally responded!

Old Mar 27th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Patrick

OOps, just checked my journal and discovered that it was not Daintree Resort we stayed at, but Coconut Beach Rainforest Resort, so can't make the comparison for you. The most wonderful thing about Silky Oaks was the friendliness of the staff, very helpful and very educational on all the tours we did --mainly walking tours. The dinners were spectacular and the open air dining room was truly remarkable --even the night it poured rain straight down all around us. The cabins were great, and private. The pool was delightful, and we met such interesting people --all individuals, no groups dominating things as often happens. It was just a great experience all around.

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 02:52 PM
TC

We are just back from OZ and stayed at Silky Oaks. It is spectacular. However, I think the whole description of "built into the canopy of the rainforest" is a bit misleading. Its a beautiful resort, set in the rainforest. Some of the cabins are built on stilts and overlook the river, but most are just on solid ground. The pathways are lush with plantings and the pool is very exotic. The food and staff are first rate. The best part of Silky's is the setting and the day we spent with David Armbrust. Whether you decide on Silky or Eco do this tour. David does a natural history tour of the rainforest that is amazing. It cost $175 AU per person (multiply by .6 to convert to US) and is worth every penny. Take a look at his web site at www.anhs.com.au The morning spent at his own reserve is just beyond belief - he's like the pied piper when it comes to animals in the forest and the setting he will use for your fresh cooked lunch is breathtaking. This was one of the highlights of our 3 weeks in AU. No, I don't work for him, but I am a fan and so is everyone else we talked with. If you want more specific info on Silky or David, send me an email.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Kim

Dear Mary Ann, <BR>Did you make your decision? I finally made mine. I booked the Silky Oaks trip. Take care. <BR>Kim

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Mary Ann

Dear Kim <BR>Well as of my last posting we had made a reservation at Silky Oaks. However, we have since cancelled and now have a reservation at Daintree Eco. Price is about the same. The change was prompted by a Frommers, who had an expert hosted discussion on Australia where you could post a question, which I did, on comparing the two. These were the comments they made: <BR>1. Daintree Eco has more of a feeling of "magical isolation". There usually are no day trippers as there are at Silky Oaks. <BR>2. There is more of a feeling of "living in the trees" at Daintree. many of the units at Silky are on the ground. As mentioned by TC in a comment above. <BR>3. Drawback at daintree was the mosquitos, which since you are right in the rainforest are heavy. That requires screening on the porches which is not necessary at Silky giving a better feel on the balconies. <BR>4. Silky is closer to the beautiful walks of mossman gorge but does not provide as peaceful and true rainforest experience as Daintree Eco. <BR>So your guess is as good as mine as to which may or may not be the better place to be! <BR>I know at Daintree, we are taking a Mango Cruise at sunset that lasts about two hours and are trying to finalize plans for the 4wd tour. When are you going? We will be there in November and were surprised to find that some things were already booked, predominantly in NZ where we go after OZ. <BR>Have a great trip! Regards Mary Ann

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 09:34 AM
KIM

Dear MaryAnn, <BR>I have not been on this site for a while and just saw your response. We will be in the rain forest in early December. We booked Silky Oaks and I figure that both resorts must be great to get such wonderful write ups. Have a great time and if you get a chance when you get back, please send me an email about your experience. <BR>thanks! <BR>regards, <BR>kim

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 01:20 PM
tom oldham

I stayed at silky oaks a few weeks ago and expected something more than it was---it was pretty--cabins built in built in the forest, with open lodge area, friendly staff---but I enjoyed much more the trip with david armbrust the next day---all in all, it was pretty expensive for what it was--if you want, you can go for lunch--and their shuttle will pick you up in port douglas

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 05:59 AM
jen

I second going on David Armbrust's tour from Silky Oaks - an amazing day! <BR> <BR>Had lunch at Silky Oaks - wish we had stayed there rather than the Mirage in PD.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Rose

Bringing to the top

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know how to reply to someone's e-mail directly on here!! lol. Anyway, I just booked Silky Oaks. I booked it because I thought the &quot;treehouse&quot; rooms looked unique and unlike anything I'v ever seen. I see now I should request one on stilts. lol. I go in 3 weeks. So what did you guys think of Silky Oaks? Was Eco better? Should I break up the stay? I have 3 nights.