Reload this Page >

Whitsunday Wilderness Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Helen

Does anyone have any experience with the Whitsunday Wilderness Lodge on Long Island in the Whitsundays? Thanks for any insight!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
AG

Hi Helen, cannot answer your question now, but I will able to shortly, we are headed to the Lodge in about three weeks. Spending 5-6 days there. I'll post when I return.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Helen

Oh, AG, that's wonderful! I hope you have a great time. How long are you spending at the Lodge? Don't forget to check back!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Helen

oops, you did say how long you are spending there. Don't mind me. Momday morning, I'm a little slow!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:48 AM
AG

Hi Helen, as promised, here is the result of my trip to Whitsunday Wilderness Lodge (stayed 5 days).<BR><BR>It was terrific! My wife and I agree this was a top highlight of our Aus/NZ vacation. Here is what made it great:<BR><BR>Hosts - Ron and Karen are very friendly and go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable. I doubt it would have been such a successful stay without them.<BR><BR>Setting - Since no daytrippers can land at the resort or hike over from other parts of the island, it is very quiet. Since it is away from city lights and noise, stars at night are stunning and no noise to keep you up at night (though you'll wake up with the birds in the morning).<BR><BR>Food - We had several wonderful meals on the island, think steamed reef fish with asian salsa, lamb one night, beef another, followed by delicious desserts. Deli lunches, lots of fruit, and afternoon tea with snacks. <BR><BR>Wildlife - There is the pet kangaroo there, but there also goannas, sea turtles, birds, wild goats, wallabies, plenty to look at. <BR><BR>One caveat, &quot;wilderness&quot; also includes some bugs and mosquitos, not an overbearing amount, but so you are not surprised (bring some caladryl and bug spray). It also means no AC, hairdryer, etc. Could be a blessing depending on your outlook.<BR><BR>P.S. If you are interested, book a seaplane trip to the outer reef from the lodge.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.