South Australia & Drive to Melbourne in 8 Days

Nov 15th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

South Australia & Drive to Melbourne in 8 Days

I'll be travelling with my parents on this trip around Christmas time and I'd like to see if anyone here can help me with the following questions:

1. would we be spending too much time on KI if we're to stay for 3D3N??

2. anyone can suggest a good restaurant for Christmas Eve in Adelaide? price is not a concern.

3. if we're trying to drive to Melbourne in 2-3 days, would there be enough time to visit both Naracoorte Caves and some wineries in Coonawarra??

4. what would be a good place for breakfast if we're to stay near the Central Myers (something like that) in Melbourne city?? We'd like some very nice coffee!

5. is Ezard in Melbourne worth a try?? I heard that it has one less chef hat from the Good Food Guide this year!
Thanks in advance for your help!! : )
Nov 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM

1. I think you might be spending too much time on KI for 3 days and 3 nights. I think 2 full days would be enough time there. That gave us enough time to see all the major sites plus hike on the sand dunes and hike in the national park. On the other hand, if you want to do things in a leisurely fashion, you might want 3 full days there.

3. I think you can do the drive from Adelaide to Melbourne easily in 3 days with a stop at Naracoore and Coonawarra. We started out from Cape Jervis after getting off the ferry and drove to Naracoorte in time for an evening tour. Then we stayed the next morning for a couple of more cave tours and my husband went to a couple of wineries in the afternoon. That would leave you 2 days to drive to Melbourne, which should not be a problem. (We actually took longer because we stayed a couple of nights along the way, but the drive can be done in 2 days.)
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM

1. K.I. is beautiful, and quite big, but you can even do day tours there so I think 2 full days is probably enough.

2. Not sure on restaurants but Rundle Street there is a Thai that has great food, though the service was a little slack. Try also around the Glenelg area, there are plenty of seafood and australian cuisine type restaurants, I don't live in Adelaide anymore but heard they are good.

3. It is an 800km + drive. It depends on how often you wish to stop for breaks and sightseeing. Technically if you drive straight through it can be done in in one long day. If you are planning on driving the Great Ocean Road you might like a bit longer? Maybe one less day on KI and one more on the drive?

4. There are so many places to eat in Melbourne it is ridiculous. You can try Degreaves Street, little lane with out door cafes, or indeed wander through any of the little lanes in the city, the Southbank which is just over the other side of the river to the city (5 min walk, probably not even) and is a whole stretch of riverside restaurants or some of the restaurants in Federation Square are good too.
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM

PS I don't know about Ezard, you could try Donovan's or the Stokehouse in St Kilda which are beachfront restaurants with really good food. The tram will take you straight down there to St Kilda.
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Guys, thanks so much for all your suggestions! I'll take those into account for planning my coming trip.

But really no one out there knows about Ezard in Melbourne?? I was told it was (not sure if it is still so though)very famous!!

longhorn55: knowing that 2-3 days are sufficient for the drive to Melbourne makes me feel safe now, thanks...

yehlo: any particular seafood restaurant you can recommend in Adelaide?? Thanks!
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:23 PM

There is good coffee all over Melbourne .But as another poster said try Degraves Street.It is a little lane between Collins St ( all Gucci / Prada )and Flinders Lane (alternative fashion ).Groovy as all get out .A city map will show you .Lovely little adventure as you walk from your hotel through old and new arcades of shops .

Ezard is still fabulous and expensive.Vue De Monde in Little Collins St is THE PLACE to eat if you can get a booking.Just got Australian Restaurant of the Year from Gourmet Traveller . Shannon Bennett is the chef and looks like a surfer. Book now if you can .Exceptional french food .Degustation Menu .Expect A$200 a head +. Otherewise The Melbourne Supper Club for less formal but really highly regrded food .It is in Spring Street near Parliament House .Lovely end of town .Nearby in Bourke Street are Grossi Florentino and Bottega - both serving excellent elegant Italian .Dine in the upstairs Mural Room at Florentino ( a Melbourne institution ). At St Kilda are Donovans - mentioned already ,Circa at The Prince and Stokehouse ( both owned by the Van Haandel brothers and both excellent - the former has lovely sea views .)I could go on and on . Melbourne = food .

Have an excellent trip and SA will be lovely - cause it is but be warned , when I was in Adelaide last Xmas the whole city shut down for 4 days including restaurants .There was no where open .I kid you not ! I was there visiting for 4 days and left without seeing the inside of a shop and only a few cafes cause the good spots were not open .
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:54 PM

I don't live in Adelaide anymore but I am told that Sammy's is good and is reasonably priced too, it is in Glenelg on the marina. There are a number of restaurants there in Glenelg. You can also do a catamaran dolphin watching tour from there. I would also re-iterate that Adelaide does tend to close up over Christmas, it is a large country town really I guess.
Nov 16th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Oops! Hit "Post" instead of "edit"
You'll spot the deliberate error

Was going to say, Melbourne is coffee heaven. But then, coffee is a very seriously personal taste. If you mean wonderful, full bodied, beautifully made coffee that transports you to your favourite European city, then you'll find it easily. I once asked someone where I could get a really good coffee & they pointed across the road to a Starbucks. As I said, it's a personal thing.
Nov 16th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Ezards is great and I like Donovans, too.
Websites are: www.ezard.com.au
www.donovanshouse.com.au

Both have the same rating (2/3 stars) in the Aust.Gourmet Traveller Restaurant Guide 2006.
Nov 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM

If it is open Cibo in North Adelaide ( up the hill from the Cathedral )is very highly rated for food .I have eaten there twice and it is nice.Not cheap but not horrific either .It might be open on Xmas Eve .
Nov 17th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Tweety where are you staying in Adelaide? The Hilton hotel restaurant (the Grange) has a very good reputation, it's chef Chong Liew (sp?) is internationally renowned. As others have said, the Glenelg sea front (about 20 mins from Adelaide)area has numerous cafes/restaurants. The Botanic Restaurant in the Botanic gardens is also excellent www.botanicgardenrestaurant.com.au
as is Magill estate - http://www.penfolds.com.au/VisitPenf...estaurant.html.
Neither are specifically seafood but would include, not sure about Xmas Eve.