Search

Help! I just WON a trip!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! I just WON a trip!

My family (me, wife, 17 & 20 y.o girls) just won (!!!) a 3 day trip in Melbourne (Grand Hyatt) from LA. We've travelled Europe extensively and enjoy small authentic towns, countryside and nature (we live in a big city so that's not so special). We need ideas, neat places, restaurants, experiences. We're considering a day at Healesville Sanctuary vs. Werribee Zoo. Any help appreciated (soon - we leave in 2 days).
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 12:29 AM

Hi, we loved Healesville, its not at all like a zoo and we would have loved to spend more time there. Although we didn't go to Werribee we did go to the zoo in Singapore. Given that you're from LA I'd choose Healesville. For restaurant ideas you can't beat the Colonial Tramcar Restaurant...book it straight away though...fabulous food and a unique experience that is well worth the money...can't recommend it enough. Have fun
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 12:52 AM

Cookndoc-

Wow...3 days. That'll be quick! Okay, assuming you can't extend the trip for a wee bit, here are some thoughts (and if you want to contact me directly for specific questions, my email is [email protected]):

Melbourne Zoo (forget Healesville) if you want the animal thing. Best zoo in Australia, and can walk there or take a tram from the Grand Hyatt.

Consider a day trip on the Great Ocean Road (you can get one organised from the hotel the day before). If you want nature and beauty, this is it.

Give the girls a few hours to shop...sound silly, but Melbourne is the fashion capital of Australia and with the US dollar, the young designers are great. I would suggest walking from the hotel up Brunswick St in Fitzroy (or, if time constrained, you can take the tram - 10 minute ride at most...jump on the 112 I think it is). Forget the outlets and the like - it's cheap stuff you could get anywhere in the world. Brunswick St has character, is buzzing, and GREAT for girls that age fashion-wise (heck, I love shopping there and pretending I'm 20ish again).

The Royal Melbourne Show (like a huge county fair) is on. For everything that's going on in Melbourne, check out www.melbourne.citysearch.com.au

If you're keen on food, especially Chinese, The Flower Drum has been noted as the best Chinese in Australia. It is an institution. Not cheap, but a treat. Same with Florentino's for Italian. Melbourne is a foodie's heaven.

You are smack in the centre of the city, so transport and options will be everywhere.

Tell me what kind of restaurants and things you like to do, and i'll give you specifics.

Also, United's in-flight magazine (Hemespheres) does those "3 perfect days in..." articles. The link is attached...just click on melbourne.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/home.htm

So how'd you win, and can you extend it for a few days?
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Wow, what a great prize. Congratulations!

Even though you live in a large city, do take a chance if you get it and have a walk around Melbourne's city center. The areas along the river offer great views and the streets branching from Swanston Street are enjoyable, with Melbourne's Chinatown and the Royal Arcade, and other european style arcades. Actually, much of Mel has a European feel to it, although it's obviously newer and is as clean as I've ever seen a city.

I would second the Melbourne Zoo. It's great, with narrow gravel walking paths, a giant fern canopy makes it feel in places like you're walking through a rain forest. Healesville is also nice and a good representative drive through Victoria to get to it. Elevated wooden walking paths through much of it, but unlike the Zoo, Healesville focuses on native Australian fauna.

A drive up through the Dandenong Range is also a very pleasant drive. There are some small cafes and tea rooms in little villages (a bit touristy though, but quaint)

Drive up the Yarra River too, to see wineries and stop off in Warrandyte. Further out and further north&west are Ballarat and Bendigo, prosperous former gold mining towns. We like Bendigo, but have family there as well. At night, we go to handfeed bananas to the ring-tail possums in the tree filled city park. Bendigo is about an hour and a half out. Fianlly, a drive up the Great Ocean Rd is world re-known views, rivaling even those along the PCH. The 12 Apostles are the sight to watch for.

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 11:26 PM

I could hardly imagine anyone even bothering to pick up a prize for a three day trip a quarter of the way round the world. It's crazy to go that far for three days and surely you must be able to extend it. I think you will be in a fog when you arrive home and wonder just where on earth you actually did go. What Clifton has suggested would be done leisurely in a week, not three days and that's after getting over the long flights.
Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 04:32 AM

Kathy's right. I was suggesting more a menu than full itinerary. However, her suggestion is best - stay a little longer. It takes 15+ hours flying, each way, to go LA to Melb. Why not make it count?

Perhaps after maximizing your 3 day base in city center, take an overnight trip or two on the GOR, Philip Island, Lakes Entrance, Ballarat/Grampians. Stay in quaint, inexpensive B&Bs, that sort of thing if the prize people aren't against.