Search

Ideas for Melbourne - The Jetlag Factor

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideas for Melbourne - The Jetlag Factor

Hello,

My flight from San Francisco lands at 9 am on a Monday in Melbourne. I know I'm supposed to stay up all day to fight jetlag.

What are some interesting walking routes, museums, and sights that won't take a physical toll on my body, but will keep me active and awake?

Oh, and I only have this one day in Melbourne before I hop on a couple of Wayward bus tours. So let me know if there's anything IMPERATIVE I must do!

Thanks.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:14 PM

At that hour many of Melbourne's small cafes brewing wondeful coffee are up and running. I would suggest you initially head for the City Square and have a coffee at Brunettis (not Starbucks which is also in the square) or any place in Federation Square a further 2 mins. on and directly opposite Flinders St. railway station. The National Gallery of Victoria at Fed. Square is devoted to Australian art so it is a must see. After that cross Princess Bridge and continue your walk along the River Yarra past the boat sheds in the direction of the Botanical Gardens. As you reach the BBQ spots, look back and you will see a glorious iconic view of Melbourne. Cross the road and walk through the Botanic Gardens. These Gardens are world famous and really should be on every visitors must see list. Walk through the gardens and find the Observatory cafe. Another coffee or perhaps lunch. Continue your walk back to the city stopping at the NGV International ( a great gallery) or the Southbank precinct. After this walk you will understand why Melbourne is one of the world's most liveable cities. Now if only it would rain before you get here!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DownUnder, that sounds like a wonderful afternoon!

If I have extra time, is the zoo worth checking out?
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM

It is an excellent Zoo with lots of new enclosures. The butterfly enclosure is unique. The Zoo is on the far edge of the city area so the quickest way to get there would be by taxi and you would need to spend a couple of hours there to make it worthwile. You may not have the time.
The Zoo with the absolutely spectacular location, but probably no better animalwise, is Taronga Park Zoo in Sydney if you are heading in that direction.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM

Downunder

What a really great post.

I'm expecting visitors from the US some time this year and will take your suggestions for a day "in the City".

As a long term resident of Melbourne I really love showing off our beautiful city and your ideas are a perfect one day trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:56 PM

Hi Libretto,
May I add, if your US visitors are in Melbourne on (I think) the 1st or 2nd w/end, do check out the Collingwood Children's Farm & Market. It's actually a fantastic growers' market in about 20 acres in the middle of inner city Melbourne.

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...ls.php?id=4892

And, it is a little working farm, complete with sheep shearing and all the other things that go on in the life of a farm.

I think it's an absolute gem and can almost g'tee that your visitors will love it. Go early, though. Parking's a bit tricky after 8.30 or so. Besides, you can then have a delicious fresh cooked breakfast of piping hot pancakes & really good coffee!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Another suggestion for a day or two in Melbourne - the visitor information centres (one in Federation Square and others) have little guide leaflets that take you on walks with various themes. These include parks & gardens, quaint shopping arcades in the city centre etc - around 6 different walks depending on your interests.

The city also has two free transport services - a free bus that you can hop on and off at a number of points of interest, and a city tram (that travels a different loop). These are great for resting weary legs, as well as hearing commentary between the various stops and places of interest.

By using both of these, plus the guided walks, we managed to see and experience a large part of the Melbourne CBD in two days.

Melbourne is a lovely compact city with plenty of intersting eateries; we really enjoyed our time there.

Happy travels, Di
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Hi Astrelle,
Can't improve on Downunder's suggestions. Perfect. Now if it wasn't a Monday I would perhaps have suggested the Queen Victoria Markets, but they will be closed.

Have a great time with Wayward - I thought they were excellent. Which trips are you doing? Guessing Classic Coast over to Adelaide, and then up to Uluru?

Happy trails.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I am bummed I won't be in Melbourne on a weekend day. I love open marketplaces and I'm going to miss the Laneway Festival by 1 day! DownUnder's itinerary sounds perfect, though. It seems I'll be able to get a good feeling for Melbourne.

As far as the Wayward bus tours, I'm taking Classic Coast to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island (from Adelaide).

I'm traveling by myself for a couple of weeks, which makes me both nervous and excited. I'm horrible with logistics and directions, so I'll be testing myself with my patience.

I have a week in between solo travel where I'll be with great friends in Sydney to attend (and be in) my friend's wedding.

After Sydney I'm off to the Whitsundays to do one of those 2 or 3 night boat tours around the islands. And then back on a plane to SF. Three weeks sounded like a long time at first - but now it seems like barely enough time!
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM

Astrelle,

You have chosen a brilliant way to spend your time!!

Good on ya - you'll find it's very easy.

Now .. have you chosen a Whitsunday boat? I'm looking for ome for May - and finding that the internet can be an insidious thing. Like if you were just there you'd take whatever was going - but given the opportunity to research in advance it's too easy to get hung up on whether this or that would be better.

So do come back and say how it was.

Old Feb 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM

Hi Astrelle,
you have been given some excellnt info regards melbourne.

I always recommend to O/S visitors to consider the "Melbourne Greeter" service.
It's fantastic and you'll find the infp here:
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/inf...64&pg=2318

Enjoy Melbourne,
Mike
Old Feb 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Fuzzylogic: For sailing in the Whitsundays, try Sunsail.

http://www.sunsailwhitsundays.com

Very professional & thoroughly nice group of people.