11 days in Australia, itinerary advice

Mar 21st, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

11 days in Australia, itinerary advice

I'm taking my little brother who is graduating college in May to Australia. We will be there the second half of the month for 11 full days and are flying in/out of Sydney. I'm thinking of the following itinerary and would appreciate suggestions/feedback/advice. We enjoy wildlife, hiking, snorkeling, beaches, adventures. Thanks!

Day 1-2, arrive in Sydney, 6am, exploring Sydney
Day 3-6, driving to Melbourne, ferry to Tasmania, hiking, exploring
Day 6-10, flight from Hobart to Cairns, GBR, QNSLD area, snorkeling, hiking, exploring, we will have a car
Day 11, flight from Cairns to Syndey
Day 12, flight home
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:28 PM

Hi Indie,
Looks good; I'm wondering, though, whether the time for your drive to Melbourne might perhaps be better spent either in & around Melbourne or in Tasmania. It'll take you 12 hours if you go straight through and that highway isn't the loveliest in the country.

I haven't checked the flight times Hobart - Cairns, but I'm guessing that will take most of your day,so unless you're really keen on the Sydney - Melbourne drive, I think I'd try & add it in somewhere else.

Other than that, I think you've a good spread to give you a taste of some quite different aspects of our country.
Mar 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM

I agree with Bokhara. Given your interests I think you should maximise your time in both Tasmania and North Qld. Melbourne is a nice city, but with only 11 days I think it, and that long and not very exciting drive, should be sacrificed. You could if you wished spend another day in Sydney for your city experience, bearing in mind the fact that you probably won't be in top form on Day 1, and fly direct to Hobart. You're only giving yourself a couple of days in Tasmania, which isn't nearly enough.
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

great advice, i'll check out flights from sydney to hobart...any must see things in Tas or Qld, while we're there?
Mar 25th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Personally, I consider all of TAS a "must see" and could easily spend a month there!

Top picks for first timers:

Freycinet - Wineglass Bay
Cradle Mountain
Huon Valley

TAS is not a place you want to rush through - loads to see and do - great hikes, wildlife, good food and very friendly locals. Three days isn't nearly enough.
Mar 25th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Based on everything I've read in these forums, we've decided to modify the itinerary a bit. Now we're thinking of a drive from Sydney to Brisbane, spend time on beaches, Fraser Island, then fly to Cairns/Port Douglas and spend 3 to 4 days there before flying out of Sydney.

Thoughts?