Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Is it too cold in Melbourne and Sydney in June?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I would like to take our son along to Australia this June. He keeps insisting it would be too chilly (50s) at that time.

If we go, we would want to visit Melbourne, Sydney, Ayers Rock, and Cairns (for the Great Barrier Reef). I know the last two would be warm enough. What about MEL and SYD?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Also, any low fares from the east coast at that time?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 08:36 PM

In Sydney it's usually about 14-18 degrees C, but can be warmer, not sure what that is in Fahrenheit. I think it's too cold to swim, but people do swim then as the water temperature isn't as cold. Melbourne is colder than Sydney in winter but it's still fairly mild by European winter standards. You say "too cold", too cold for what exactly?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:47 AM

Winter days in Sydney are lovely - you just need to be prepared with an extra layer when the sun goes in. Nights can get chilly so you need a coat - but we are not talking really cold. If it gets down to 6C then it's COLD and that probably happens only one or two days for the whole "winter".

MLB is different.Further south. Wouldn't want to comment.

But what is it you want to do in Sydney and Melbourne?

It is a great time to visit the Centre of the continent and fine for FNQ - though sea temps are not in the warm bath category as they might be elsewhere on the planet.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:34 AM

We travelled to both, as well the the GOR, Kangaroo Island and more in June and it was wonderful. Long pants and maybe light jackets throughout. There will be some things that you may not be able to do - some water activities, for example - but the temps are great for walking, hiking, wildlife spotting, etc. The next year we went to Thailand and Hong Kong in the same time frame and the heat was oppressive. Much prefer slightly cool to hot and humid for travel!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Melbourne weather is unpredictable. I remember a December day of 6 or 7 (C) degrees and 20 degree June days. It rains often in June (everyone is praying it does so the coming June anyway...there's been a long dry spell). Whether that's 'too' chilly or not depends on what you are used to.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:54 AM

It depends on what climate you're used to. I'm from Wisconsin, USA, so I found my time in Australia in June fantastic. In Sydney, some days required a light jacket, but on others I was wearing shorts.

Ayers Rock was great in June... comfortable temp and NO FLIES. Cairns was also fantastic at that time of year.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM
rmp

We were in Sydney and Melbourne in early to mid August (from North Carolina) and found the weather great. Some sprinkles and definitely sweater and windbreaker weather, but perfectly pleasant to walk around. Think mid 50s to low 60s daytime, at least in our time period. I definitely agree with others who commented on the weather in the center (or centre, for authenticity) which was hot during the day but chilly at night.

As for flights, we went directly through Qantas which was running a special on the Aussie AirPass. That fare includes three internal flights and your trans-Pacific legs for about $US 999. They'll throw in Zone 2 (which includes Uluru/Alice Springs and, I think, Cairns) for the same price if you go in the austral winter.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:13 PM

Melbourne's winter is a bit colder than Northern California. You will need a coat. Too cold for the ocean but not too cold for sightseeing.
I'm not sure about cheap fares - school holidays will run from the last week in june to the first week of july though so unlikely to have cheap fares during that time.