Temperature in Sydney

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Michelle

Temperature in Sydney

Hi,
I would like to know what the temperature is in Sydney at the end of May? Will it be much hotter in Brisbane?
Can you still go swimming at the beach in Sydney during this period?
Thanks.

Apr 25th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Alan

Hi, Michelle!

Sydney's swimming season finishes by the middle of March; the Olympic pools close around this time, and the beaches are deserted except for a few die-hards. Very few people would go into the water at the end of May, which is the beginning of winter when the air temperature drops to below 20 degrees celsius in the middle of the day (and the water temperature is considerably below that). It will be warmer in Brisbane, certainly; I shouldn't imagine, though, that you could describe it as "hot", and I would be surprised if there are many people swimming there in May. However, I will let Brisbanians talk for themselves on this subject.

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:22 PM
sonia

Hi

Errr...I dont know which sydney the above poster is from but I live right on the beach in Sydney and I can tell you that yesterday there were loads of people (including me) swimming!!!!

Yes, it will be warmer in Brisbane as they are 12 hours drive north of us.

You can swim in sydney all year but obviously it will not be sweltering here in May.

The weather in Sydney is much more unpredicatble than tourists think and so you could come here in May and find it blisteringly hot or raining every day...

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:29 PM
pat

Went in late May. Sydney weather was pleasant, but there was no one at the beaches. I liked it that way, with little or no people. Liked Manly. We went back this Feb and went to Bondi and it was packed and HOT!! I preferred it in May.

Apr 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
lcuy

Went last year, and the weather was nice in Brisbane the first week in June...my husband went surfing with a lightweight wet suit. plenty of locals had no wetsuits.
The second week in June Sydney was very very cold, although sunny. We went to Manly beach and saw no one in the water, even though the waves were decent. As surfers are pretty die hard, we assumed the water must have been REALLY cold.

Apr 30th, 2002, 09:11 AM
spud

went snorkelling near Bondi beach end of March and it was friggin cold (20 C). there were only a few people in the water.