Search

Australia in June

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia in June

I plan to visit Australia the first 2 weeks of June. My husband has business in Melbourne, then we're free to go where we want from there. I'm looking for suggestions of places not to be missed since we don't have that much time. Also, would Tasmania be a good place to go in June?

Thanks!
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:56 AM

The obvious thing to do, taking advantage of the situation, would be to drive the Great Ocean Rd along the coast between Melbourne and Adelaide. You could either drive all the way to Adelaide or turn around part way (Warrnambool perhaps) and return to Melbourne. The GOR is famous for its rugged coastal scenery. There are also opportunities for viewing wildlife at various places in the Otway Ranges en route.

Weather-wise June is not the best time for southern Australia, particularly Tasmania. After a short (1-2 night) trip along the GOR. I'd suggest a trip north to Queensland for some time on the Great Barrier Reef or to the Northern Territory to sample some of the outback.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:21 AM

Leodat,
I don't know where you are coming from but I too was worried about the winter weather in the southern part of Australia before I visited a couple of Julys ago but it turned out to be ok. I grew up in NY and live in Atlanta, Georgia and though noone would confuse their July weather with summer, most people from N. America would say it felt like our Fall. If you don't mind dressing in layers and are willing to put up with some cool temps (not bitter cold) and wind, then do go. It may not be the optimal time of year to visit but if it were me, I wouldn't let it stop me.

Australia is one of my most favorite trips of all time! See what you can but don't try to do too much! Since your husband has business in Melbourne, the Great Ocean Rd. is a terrific suggestion. Does he have to be in Melbourne the entire 2wks?

OWJ
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:47 PM

I'd get on a plane and head to the GBR area for as long as you have free. The weather will be perfect with bright sunny and warm days and the reef and rain forest areas will be a treat.
Its an hours flight to Sydney then 3 hours direct to Cairns.
Worth every minute to get out of the cold and grey weather of the south at that time of year.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:03 PM

I visited Sydney, Perth, Broome, Darwin, Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Cairns last June and the weather was spectacular. Mild in Sydney & Perth (sweatshirt temps most days), warm but not humid on the Top End where it was The Dry (season), nights were cold at Uluru but days were warm and perfect for hiking.

Everyone warned of heat and flies at Uluru, but in June my day started in a sweatshirt and finished in a t-shirt and there were no flies and no crowds.

The Great Ocean Road was beautiful (I was there in March) and the 12 Apostles were postcard-perfect. While in Melbourne, a tram ride to St. Kilda would be fun...the bakeries there are amazing. I also enjoyed the Melbourne botanical gardens (however, in June they probably won't be as vibrant), the Queen Victoria Markets and catching some activity at Federation Square. Phillip Island was fun to see the Fairy Penguin Parade (I went with www.autopiatours.com.au), but it will be very cold down there in June, so dress warm if you do that.

June is a great time to visit the Great Barrier Reef as well - no stinging jelly fish. If you can...see the GBR!

You could consider a ski trip in Australia as well. The mountains in Victoria are in high season then (I'm not sure what the slopes are like though).

Brisbane and the Gold Coast will be quite busy with holiday-makers in June.

If you make it to Sydney, I'd suggest the Opera House, a walk across the bridge, a visit to Watson's Bay and The Gap.

You're in for a great trip...Australian winter is a lot different from winter most other places. Have a great time.