Search

Question for Pat Woolford

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Pat Woolford

Hi,
Quick questions - What is this I have read on a thread about not being able to drink the water in PD? Is it a situation like Mexico? Can you eat unpeeled fruit or no? Is this "don't drink the water" applicable to Cairns and PC as well?

Next question, I had been counting on getting on an earlier flt out of the US which does not look like it is going to happen, so I'll have 2 days shorter in OZ. What is better in your opinion, 6 days in the area or 4 days in the area. I'd be knocking out MEL out of our itinerary as it seems foolish to go there for just the 2 days that I would now have. I was thinking of taking those 2 days and adding them to the Cairns area. We would be there from 12-23 to 12-29. I was thinking 1 nt in Cairns (upon arrival) 2 nts in PD and 3 nts in Palm Cove. I know they are all pretty close, but they all seem to have different benefits.
I'm just hoping the weather is not awful and we spend our precious time in the hotel, watching the rain.
Thanks for your opinion.
Pat
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Janese

I know this is addressed to Pat but I hope you won't mind if I answer a bit of it.
No, it is not like Mexico re the water because the problem is giardia and not e-coli, the latter being one the main problems in most 3rd world countries. The problem in PD is that there has been a drought for 2 years and the water supply has become questionable because of that reason. They draw their water supply from a mountain spring region which can become contaminated because it has not had a good flushing out, so to speak. Cairns has treated town water which is not subject to any problems. Eating fruit is not a worry, peeled or not. Not to partake of the fantastic tropical fruits like soursop, Sapote, custard apple and the like would be a crime. On that note there is a little produce agency just next to Avis in PD where you can get the fruits that you don't get in the supermarket. I brought home some frozen black sapote, soursop, white sapote. Worth a look!
Over to Pat.

Old Nov 12th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Can't drink the water in PD?
What is going on up there?

Has FNQ joined the third world.
Old Nov 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Hi Pat - thanks to Janese for answering the 1st part - Janese is right, it's quite safe to eat the local fruit, peeled or unpeeled although I can't think of many local fruits which have peel which you'd want to eat (the peel that is). Try the mangosteens also if you can get them - absolutely delicious. Palm Cove is a suburb of Cairns so it's on the same town water supply and we drink it from tap all the time.

You could certainly use 6 days in the area as there is so much to see and do. As the last 3 decembers have been depressingly sunny with little or no rain (we're praying for it - rainforests need rain), you may be in luck this year too. And if it does rain it will only be for a few hours at a time and it's warm rain! It does make it rather humid of course. Have a great time. cheers!

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks everyone. 6 days it is. Now, where would you recommend for Xmas dinner in Port Douglas?
Cheers,
Pat
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:45 PM
Janese

Oh Patw there are so many lovely restaurants in PD with all sorts of things on the menu.
Probably do a search on this site for some ideas from people who have had the chance to "eat around" PD and what they said. I know that there were threads about the food some time back and that was why I wanted to go to Salsa. Then check to see if that restaurant has a web site and then you can check the menu yourself. There are also many good restaurants in the resorts too so don't over look those.
Good luck and happy eating........ but not at the Yacht Club!

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Janese

Here is a list of some
http://www.cairnsdining.com/suburb_Port+Douglas

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:03 PM

Hi
Regarding the restaurants- I was a chef in a former life and I get about for dining in the local area on a regular basis. I would recommend Gone Bananas- great cocktails and fantastic medditerassian fusion food, On the Inlet- a seafood restaurant on the water is also fantastic, Salsa bar and grill is also great and they make fantastic ruby margaritas. I would recommend that you book for any of these restaurants in advance.
Zeuss is great for greek seafood, but it might be hot at that time of the year as it is mostly sidewalk dining.
Enjoy
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for all your answers and suggestions. Its snowing here again in New Jersey. We arrive in Cairns in a little more than a week. Can't wait to get hot weather and see Palm Trees. I am really looking forward to my visit.
Cheers,
Pat