free water?

Jun 12th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

free water?

I'm on a budget, so I was interested to know if (tap) water at restaurants in both NZ and Australia is free? (Of course, this is assuming that it's safe to drink(?))
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM

We haven't had to pay for water in either country. Most budget cafes/restaurants supply it free, however there have been newspaper articles noting several top Sydney restaurants charging for water. Take your own bottle in your handbag!
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Iced water is readily available in restaurants all over Australia at no charge.No need to worry about water quality in N.Z. or Australia.Drinkable and clean wherever you are!
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Hi,
Wasn't there a problem with drinking water in Port Douglas recently?
Is it ok now?

Muck
Jun 13th, 2004, 04:33 AM

Hey Muck - as far as I know, you still can't drink tap water in PD. Not too much of a problem, hotels and accommodation places supply bottled water. We just drink wine when we go there!
Jun 13th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Lyndie's correct. There has been some controversy about being charged for tap water in restaurants in Sydney. Not at restaurants I frequent - but at some of the more expensive ones
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Daisy

Most all restaurants in New Zealand give you water when you sit down. If it is not there just ask for a glass. They should not be charging you for a glorious glass of tap water ( though I cannot say for sure that they would not try it)

I have never been charged for (tap) water.

Beware when you order water though that they do not turn up at your table with a bottle of mineral water as they may misunderstand your request.

Steve

Jun 13th, 2004, 05:08 PM

When we were in Port Douglas last month, yhe innkeeper told us they had solved the problem. We drink the water and survived w/o problems.
A/D
Jun 14th, 2004, 03:58 AM

daisylundy, I've always found beer a more than acceptable substitute for water, the downside being that people invariably want to charge for it. Your question, though, does suggest that you may be harbouring concerns that Oz and NZ are third-world countries. On that score you can relax, despite the fact that the Australian government at least has been showing worrying tendencies of late.
Jun 14th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Hi there. Just be careful when asking for water in restaurants. Be sure to stress the word "tap water" or else they will come to you with bottled water which you will have to pay for.

Cold/iced tap water should be free as well and you can even get a slice of lemon with it at certain cafes.

As for drinking our Aussie water, it's clean and safe. Just depends if you like the taste of it!