HELP CAR RENTALS

Jun 12th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

HELP CAR RENTALS

We are planning a three week trip to NZ (our second one) with two weeks on the south island and one on the north. I have looked at so many web sites for car rentals and just get confused. Some include GST and fees but others don't. Some use old cars and others don't say. If you have had a good experience recently, please respond. Thanks. Barbara
Jun 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM

I've used Autoeurope (www.autoeurope.com) last year for France and have recently booked for a week at the end of June/beginning of July for Cairns, Australia. I found their rates to be the best as they act as a broker for all he major rental companies. The rates quoted have always been cheaper than I was able to get on the rental company website or elsewhere. I've paid in my own currency (Canadian $) before leaving.

Give it a try.

Karen
Jun 13th, 2004, 01:14 AM

We've used Nova for five trips to NZ - always booking online. They offer instant online quotes and at the time of our last booking in September 2003, their prices included the following:

unlimited mileage, 24 hour breakdown coverage, airport surcharge, all taxes, theft insurance, and standard insurance which includes third party liability and CDW, BUT renter is responsible for the first NZ $2,812.50 of any damage to the vehicle - this can be reduced to NZ$562.50 by paying an Excess Waiver fee of NZ$16.87 per day.

We don't opt for the Excess Waiver and haven't had any problems so far. Keep in mind that car insurance coverage offered under your credit card is not good in NZ (ours isn't anyway).

Nova works with several well known rental agencies - they offer the lowest price available at the time of booking. We were given cars from National on our last two trips.

We've always been met at the airport by a representative of the rental car agency and given a newer car. We've gotten exactly what we requested on all but one occasion, and we were able to trade a few days later easily enough. We've had good service and will continue to use Nova on future trips.

www.rentacar-newzealand.com
Jun 13th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Hello Barbara,

We got back from 3 weeks in NZ a couple of months ago. We surfed the net too to get good deals. We eventually chose Apex. http://www.apexrentals.co.nz/

We paid $45.00 a day for a late model Toyota Corolla, automatic, and had absolutely no problems with it at all. The folk at Apex were helpful and took us to our hotel for the last night instead of the usual transfer to the airport.

We would definitely use them again.
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I will check on Auto Europe and then compare to the other two. I appreciate the help. Babette
Jun 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Hi Barbara,

We used Maui Car Rentals in April. Our car rental came with the trip we won; we upgraded from a standard to an automatic Mitsubishi Lancer for a couple of dollars extra per day. They were easy to deal with and friendly.

If you are renting your car for 10 days or more, Maui includes a free one-way Interislander trip for your car. You just have to pay the foot passenger fee.

Lee Ann