Matangi Island Resort - Forget It

Aug 31st, 2003, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Matangi Island Resort - Forget It

I feel compelled to write a review of this resort, because my partner and I selected this one based on numerous very positive reviews on the Fodor's cite. After staying there for a week, I can only believe that the reviews were not legitimate and probably posted by the resort directly, or someone with some sort of financial interest. The resort is horrible. The bures are run down and "motel-ish", the service was poor at best, and there was nothing to do on the resort if you were not an avid diver. Our bure was infested with a wide array of insects, from cockroaches to termites, and sleeping in polyester sheets that would not meet K-Mart standards - well, do I need to say more. But I will, the food was of poor quality, and my husband and I took turns over the week being sick - probably from sub-standard food handling practices. It might of helped if we had hot water and water pressure more often than not, but in spite of numerous complaints, nothing was done to fix the problems. I am trying to think of something positive to say , but I am hard pressed to do so. In conclusion, I really feel that with all the postings on this cite on Matangi Island Resort that are embarrasingly positive, upon which we made our decision, that they are not accurate, we were both so happy to leave! The Norh of Fiji is so beautiful, and the 2 nights we stayed at the Coconut Grove Resort in Taveuni at half the price were so much better - just wish we would have stayed there and not ventured over to Matangi! Sorry for being so negative - Lisa
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:00 AM

thanks lisamonet, for your review. i'm glad to know the truth about matangi (and to be honest, am surprised just because i've always only heard rave things). this should maybe help people who are considering this resort to think twice and do their research! i'm sorry that it wasn't the dream vacation you were probably hoping for!!
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:52 PM

Lisa:
I hate to play the devil's advocate, but how we know that your review is legitimate? Perhaps you have an interest in promoting the Coconut Grove and slamming the Matangi. I don't want to sound like a smart *ss, but you should never rely 100% on anything posted here, because vested interests are probably posting all the time. I would verify anything posted here through another sources such as a tour guide.
Sep 7th, 2003, 12:48 AM

The problem with some of the posters here is that they went to this or that place ten or five or more years ago and are relating their impressions from their own experiences then. It also happens on other boards as well eg Europe and some of the prices quoted there are way off beam. We found Athens to be so cheap etc etc, when the truth is is that Athens is actually now very expensive.Then you find out they are talking about a trip they did years ago. So back to Fiji, you must remember that with the various coups that they have had lately their tourist industry has been up and down like a yoyo. They have been hit hard on more than one occasion by these. I still think Fiji is not the best place for value for money. And I think you might find some other resorts in Fiji are not much better than where you were.
Sep 10th, 2003, 09:33 PM

This is an interesting conversation, and I don't usually participate in these postings, but I think I have some value add here. My wife and I have been to Fiji on eight5 occassions over the last eleven years, so I think I can add some perspective. (we live in Australia, so it is close).

Firstly, in response to Lisa Monet, I too have been to Matangi, and while my opinion of the resort is not as as negative as yours, I am mostly in agreement. We were at Matangi shortly after the 2000 coup, and we basically thought it was tired and in need of some work. That was over 2 years ago, and I don't know anything about the resort since then.

In response to Gaurantor, I think your comments are fair, but as I have been to Matangi, I will side with Lisa on this one. As you say, it is important to go to as many sources as possible before making a holiday decision. A bulletin board such as this one is only a resource, not a definitive and totally trustworthy source.

As for KathyNZ 's input, my view is that she has not travelled the South Pacific Islands very much or she would not have made such a silly statement about post coup Fiji. There is no difference in the resorts pre or post coup in Fiji, from personal experience. We love Fiji, and have also been to Tahiti, the Cooks, and Samoa, and nothing even comes close, from either a cultural experience, or value for money. We have been to the following resorts: Tokoriki, Yasawa Island Resort, Matangi, Castaway, Outrigger, Qamea Beach Resort, and Toborua. I could write heaps about each of these destinations, they all have their plusses and minuses, but all were better than anything in the Cooks or Tahiti. My favorite resorts (thus far) in Fiji are Yasawa Island Resort and Qamea Beach Resort. Yasawa would be the best, but Qamea at about half the price is on the top of our list, but who knows, that could change soon (we are hoping to go to Vatulele Resort next year). Just my perspective,

Chris
Oct 14th, 2003, 08:49 AM

I am one of the posters who so gushingly praised Matangi Island and I stand by my first assessment. We were on Matangi just over a year ago and we experienced NONE of the problems LisaMonet did. We found this resort to be a fantastic island retreat and everything it was advertised to be (both on their web site and through the other praises on this site).