Reload this Page >

Looking for a recommendation for a hotel in Port Douglas

Old Jun 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for recommendations for places to stay when my wife and I visit Port Douglas next year. I'm looking for a good place for 5 days for around $150/night USD. I would rather save the money to spend it on sightseeing. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM
SnR

Hi, Scudam, we stayed at Le Cher du Monde right on Macrossan Street for $135/AUD a night. The rooms are large with a king sized bed, kitchenette, balcony, AC living room area. No view, but the price and location were so good, we figured we'd walk to the views and enjoy being outdoors anyway. No elevator in the building. There's a parking garage under it. D/N know about laundry. We stayed there both times we have been in Oz.
Sally in Seattle aka SnR and SnRSeattle
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 04:21 PM

We've stayed twice at At the Mango Tree on Davidson Street. We like it because it's situated away from the main road and is very quiet. The beach is an easy walk (2 blocks) and you can walk to town in 10 minutes. The 1-BR apartments have a full kitchen, washer&dryer, AC and ceiling fans and are priced at AUD 115 in low season and AUD 150 in high season. They also have a pool and tennis court.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. The agent that I've been talking to suggested the Mandalay Shalimar Luxury Beachfront Apartments. I checked out their site and they charge up $350/night. If I find something around $150/ night, it would save us $1000 for the 5 days we're planing on staying there. A hotel to us is just a place to sleep and shower. I'll check out these places, again, thanks for the suggestions.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Have a look at www.wotif.com.au - it will give you an idea of what's available for the next 2-3 weeks pricewise and allow you to view the various properties. Although your trip is next year, it would at least allow you to narrow your search and lock something in nearer to your arrival. The busiest periods are Australian School Holidays, so you may wish to check those with the time you will be here.