Port Douglas accomodation

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port Douglas accomodation

We stayed at the Mirage a few years ago. Now, we will stay close to town. We have narrowed it down to a few choices, and I read other posts, but we are a couple who are 75 years old - a young 75 - and the other folks who wrote were looking for a different experience. We are choosing between the Penisula, White House, Mandalay, and Hibiscus. We'd like a place that doesn't have a loud bar with young people out at the pool till 3am, and want to be able to walk into town. Can anyone offer advice?
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 01:35 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Peninsula back in August and loved it. Never had a problem with noise and liked that we were within walking distance to both the beach and the town. Room was very clean and the included breakfast was good. The staff was also extremely helpful with respect to giving us advice on tours and other questions we had. Really the only downside was the price, which seemed a bit high for that area. Not familiar with the other hotels you mentioned. Good luck!
Old Oct 7th, 2004, 03:58 PM

We stayed at the Hibiscus gardens last April and really liked it. Clean, very close walk to the main street (2 blocks), beautiful pool area (not wild party scene), helpful reception, great breakfast, spacious room. Don't think the price was even that high. Many of the rooms are up several flights of stairs, I'd check with them before hand if that is an issue with you. Good luck!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the information. Both sound really good, so we will just have to choose one. Sometimes, having 2 choices makes it harder, but I'm glad both sound good.
Old Oct 9th, 2004, 02:11 AM

We loved the Hibiscus.

Try for a one-bedroom at the front on the first floor near reception. It has a nice kitchen, living area, bedroom, and patio. You'll find it on the internet.

Close (one block)to shopping and restaurants, easy walking to harbour and about a block or two to beach.

A tropical ambience. We're 72 and 77.