Last 3 Days from the Gold Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just about finished planning our trip, but I am still unsure about the last 3 days. Our trip goes like this: 3 days and nights in Sydney, 4 days at Port Douglas, four day at Gold Coast/Hinterland, now I need a great 2.5 day trip out of Gold Coast on Thurs afternoon and back late Sat. for our early a.m. flight back to the US. This will be for my husband and me and our 21 year old rugged son who is studying at Gold Coast. There is an international surf contest going on at the Oceana where we are staying that comes in on Thurs., and I was advised to "get out of town". So where do we go, that wouldn't take all our time in flight, or should we drive south or north with our son?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

a post note: our son just returned from 4 fabulous days on Fraser Island, so that probably wouldn't be our choice.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about getting out of town during the surf contest as the coast is big enough to take all sorts of things without impacting on most of the population - with the exception of Indy because they cut off access roads and really make a big pain for the travelling public.
You have my phone number I think Marilyn and depending on the weather at the time there are plenty of places that you could go to in that time that you would not have time to see i.e. the northern NSW town of Nimbin and surrounds en route to Byron Bay would be my pick but as you will be coming to see me ( I hope ) I will be able to supply you with maps and ideas once I know what you would really prefer to see and do. For instance there is a wonderful drive you can do which takes you through and over the border ranges further west where you pass through a bell bird colony which really is an amazing experience because even with car windows closed you can here this magnificent chorus. Or you may like to stay on one of the regions farm stays and explore that area - many, many options that won't bust the bank but will add to your memories of OZ considerably.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, of course, I am coming to see you. As a matter of fact, I just posted a note to you, but it never posted. I am planning on bringing 5 or 6 Bond students up to Tambourine Mtn. for the day and for evening dinner. Where should we dine; how do we get up there and get around once we are there, and how do we know exactly where to go? They love water falls, so I remember you mentioned something about Witches Falls. Liz, just spoon feed me a little more, please.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Liz, one more thing. What do you know about Amithy Bungalows over on North Stradbroke. What if we went over there for 2 nights during the surfers convention. What do yo think?
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Getting up here? When are you coming? There are tours ( not recommended) and there are people up here with mini buses which pick people up from wherever and bring them up.
At he moment the falls are flowing but I prefer Palm Grove to Witches Falls.
If I am available when you come up I can make some arrangements regarding transport from Bond and perhaps come with you as a guide where we could go to say, Natural Bridge and the guys can swim in the spring waterfall there. Tamborine for some hang gliding and sight seeing, wine drinking and food eating - although I am trying to give up the latter.
Chef Jaques at the Bungunyar Manor would be a great place to dine but that is pretty much top $ French food. Alternatively a B.B.Q at Witches Falls to watch the sunset ( which is fantastic because it faces west over the plains and to the western mountains) with a couple of bottles of lemonaid would probably be better and certainly a lot cheaper.
If its a Sunday then there is usually a jazz thing at one of the wineries however I doubt that the boys would care too much for that.
Then of course you "have" to visit the Distillery which makes liqueors from local fruit and Alla hand paints the bottles which then makes them something of beauty - she has won several International Awards - beating things like Irish Cream, Tia Maria and the other big guys.
Just really depends on when it is that you are coming as to what to do and I cannot remember when that was to be so enlighten me please.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Straddy is good... real good but follow Liz's advice and head south...get away from that "miami" vibe of the gold coast and head south down to Byron Bay and surrounds.

Climb Mt Warning on the way
Have lunch and a beer at the Mt Warning Hotel at Uki
check out Nimbin
come back to the coast via the channon.
stay in a cabin at the Broken head leisure resort
swim in the tea tree lake
take long walks along the beach,around the headland and in the littoral rainforest
do the dolphin sea kayak at byron
walk thru the rainforest and have a swim in the rockpool beneath minyon falls.
take in a craft market
watch the sun set behind mt warning from the byron lighthouse (the most easterly point in oz)
see and feel what california has lost in the last 20 years.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Sounds fabulous, all the choices. We will be there the week of March 14. I am thinking March 17 might be the day we would come to Tambourime. Will stay in touch about that
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM

I will keep that time in mind but if you can give me some advance notice so that I am not standing in a shop serving customers with a tapping foot, glaring eyes and a snotty look on my face with customers being nice to me so that I will remember not to be nasty again.