Route from east coast of south island to west?

Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route from east coast of south island to west?

I am just starting planning of our trip to NZ.We are starting our self-drive SI part of the trip near Blenheim to do wine tasting. The routes to the west coast are
1.Blenheim to Westport
2.Kaikoura to Greymouth
3.CC- [don't care if we go into CC] to Hokitka vicinity
Which is the more scenic drive and which has a worthwhile stop for lodging for us.
Is the drive down the east coast further or the westcoast further better? We like to stay in out of the way scenic places where we can do nature things and day hikes. Wherever we arrive on the west coast , we will evnetually drive down as far as Haast.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The drive from Blenheim to Westport is inland, and although I've driven that route a few times, I can't remember much about it (will have to check my notes for details). The drive south from Westport along the west coast will give you an eyeful of gorgeous coastal scenery. You'll drive right through Punakaiki (Pancake Rocks) a beautiful stop. You can either stay in Westport or Punakaiki. Westport isn't all that exciting IMO, but it's a good option for an overnight and there's a seal colony and Cape Foulwind nearby.

We've been through Punakaiki many times and have decided to spend three nights there on our upcoming trip. Most visitors just pass through, as there isn't much there, but if you're interested in visiting Paparoa National Park or doing some walking you might prefer it over Westport. It's only about a 45 minute drive from Westport.

www.paparoa.co.nz

The route from Kaikoura to Greymouth will take you over Lewis Pass, but you'll miss Punakaiki. If you're interested in visiting a thermal resort town, you might like Hanmer Springs, which is also a good place to spend a night or two, depending on your interests. Some nice walks in this area too.

Blenheim to Hoki via Christchurch will include some nice coastal scenery around Kaikoura and will take you over Arthur's Pass and into Greymouth and then down the spectacular West Coast.

All the places you mention have lodging options and all are worthwhile. If it were me, I'd probably choose the Blenheim to Westport option.

I have a handy drive distance calculator on my favorites at home, but can't find the site at the moment. Suggest you do a search for driving times/distances to give you and idea of which route would work best for you.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8- Thanks again for your great info. I have the distance website. My basic quesiton is there more interest in driving down the nothern east coast or the northern west coast? And where should I cross over east-west? You helped to answer that.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

Totally confused by the question, but I recommend using Arthur's Pass if you want to spend the night in the park, the Mountain House cottages and Oscar Haus restaurant are great.

Nice walk at Dobson's nature trail and view down toward the west coast from the Pass. Plus opportunity to mingle with the ever cheeky kea.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO - North west coast.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM

With the South Island, the west coast is countryside (below Greymouth), the east coast towns.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM

If you're from Canada, I can understand this opinion. However if you are from somewhere hot, dry, flat, and urban, NZ scenery is what you want to see. Add to that some of the most accessible glaciers in the world, and the low altitude of many of the famous tracks, makes hiking a big draw. And I have heard a number of the German tourists I run into rave over the southern Alps as comparing very favorably to their Alps. If you are a botanist, the native flora is very interesting and much different than you will see in the N. Hemisphere.
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

MLgb, I am the original poster. I live in the SF Bay area. I wanted to know which route to cross from east -west. Perhaps I could have framed the question better.I want to know which coast -east or west to concentrate on and where I can find the best mountains on the way to the westcoast- and ocean scenery to hike in. I know that is a matter of opinion.
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Definitely west.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:51 AM

I suggest that you drive down the east coast through Kaikoura, cut inland through Waiau to stay a night at Hanmer Springs (or Maruia Springs -- good hotpools but not as developed as Hanmer Springs) then turn off at Springs Junction to head for the west coast through the Buller Gorge. Punakaiki is definitely worth a one night stay at least. If you have the time, take a detour from Westport to visit the site of the old Denniston mine and view the display of the Denniston Incline. It takes an hour or so from Westport, but it is very interesting.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:16 AM

The Christchurch-Greymouth/Hokitika route over the Arthurs Pass is by far the most dramatic, with sudden scene changes from flat plains to majestic foothills to precipitous mountain road to forest and then coast.

Lewis Paas, which can be approached from Christhurch or Kaikoura and which hits the West at Reefton from whence (again) you have a choice either north via Buller Gorge to Westport or south to Greymouth is more gradually changing scenery and not quite so dramatic. However the north option offers (after Westport) a very scenic coastline, while the southern option to Greymouth offers old gold-and/or-coal mining villages.

The route from Blenheim to Westport via Merchison and the Buller Gorge pretty well skirts around the top of the mountain range thereby avoiding much of the really dramatic scenery except around the gorge itself and (as above) some good coastline after Westport.

The two northern routes can be linked (and therefore "mixed and matched") on either side of the mountain range - Merchison to Springs Junction on the eastern side, or Inangahua to Reefton on the western side.

This probably all sounds confusing, but a good map will clarify what I mean.