Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone witness the 2,000+ dolphin swim off the pembrokeshire coast in Wales?

Aug 16th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Just saw a brief story about this on bbc world news. Wondering if you either head more about this at home or on vacation. There was a freak swimming of 2000+ dolphins swiming together. Here is a link if you missed the film coverage.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4150502.stm
Aug 16th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for sharing this article. Beautiful to think of them all there, it must have been an inspiring sight.

I found Mr. Benson's comments a bit disturbing though, don't you think? Sad that he immediately equated this into a money making opportunity. Let them be already.

I suppose the 2000+ might not be frolicking so freely if it becomes a tourist trap.

Swim away fast little ones, hard to say that sometimes we are your own worst enemies.

Tiff
Aug 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

I think if this happens again it is probably going to indicate some kind of environmental problem don't you think?

I have hiked that coast line. I did not realise that you could see 100's of dolphin on a normal outing. I have never seen 100's of dolphins anywhere.

Yeah I guess now that you mention it. It was a bit of small town journalism to include comments like that.
Aug 17th, 2005, 04:45 AM

My parents live on the West Coast of Wales in Cardigan and it is indeed a common site (i.e. almost guaranteed) to see both porpoises and dolphins in groups of 10 to 20.
The area is very poor in the main, and the promotion of ecologically responsible tourism should be encouraged, other wise how else will they be protected. It is a said comment on the human race that something has to have a monetary value for them to be protected. In this way tourism can in some way go to helping protect these animals and this amazing coastline
Aug 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Every couple of years during the past twenty, there have been huge numbers of dolphins off the south coast of Australia near Apollo Bay. It may be coincidental that these appearances are often at the time when calamari are plentiful. I have been out in a boat and the numbers have simply been impossible to count: at every point of the compass there were swimming and jumping dolphins. It's one of the better things to see, though seemingly impossible to predict, so I think it unlikely that any tourist industry could be predicated on same.