best seafood restaurants in sydney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any thoughts on the best seafood restaurants in sydney right now? any new places that would not be in the tour books?
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:18 AM

There's a new restaurant, called Fishface, that's just opened in Pyrmont, at the edge of the city. Supposed to be good, but I've not been there.

The best seafood restaurants are the old classics - Pier at Rose Bay, Boathouse at Blackwattle Bay, opposite the fish markets. Expensive but good. There are restaurants at the fish markets, also.

Most tourists go to Doyles, supposedly the typical Sydney experience. I think it's overpriced for what you get, but great locations, and the food is edible.

There's good fish and chip shops at Bondi - you can buy your meal and sit on the beach with a cool drink of whatever you fancy. Or the same at Balmoral Beach. It doesn't get any better that this!
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Since you don't seem to getting a whole bunch of response, I will chime in with my personal all time favorite which is Bather's Pavilion on Balmoral Beach. Not totally dedicated to seafood. The menu could probably be described as "New Australian." But it certainly has many great seafood dishes on it and the atmosphere is wonderful. Great for lunch and then a stoll along the beach. Equally great for a romantic dinner.

For casual fish and chips, as mentioned above, it doesn't get any better than the shop just down Balmoral Beach from Bathers.
Have only eaten at Pier in Rose Bay once...the views were sensational and the food was quite good as well.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:01 PM

It's also worth bearing in mind that any good Sydney restaurant, be it Mod-Oz, Italian, Chinese, Thai or whatever, should have a selection of good seafood-based dishes.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Margo - you're so right - how overrated is Doyles. Stopped going there years before I left Sydney.
xman - you don't necessarily have to go to an exclusively seafood restaurant - someone mentioned Bathers Pavilion at Balmoral beach - it's excellent.
The best fish and chips I know of around Sydney are at Palm Beach (on the Pittwater side) and one on the Corso, Manly - almost on corner of Corso and Esplanade on the right looking towards the beach.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Many chinese restaurants have the freshest of seafood as they have live tanks and you can pick a crayfish or fish and they will cook it on the spot. Try Golden Century in Sussex St (our Japanese sushi chefs ate there all the time)and Rockpool in George St is absolutely wonderful for fish and oysters. Best of luck.
Old Feb 12th, 2004, 10:24 PM

A correction - the new retaurant at Pyrmont is Flying FIsh. I must stop this drinking soon!

For me - the pick is fish and chips on the beach at either Bondi or Manly - or one of the other beaches - theres a good one at Balmoral!