ICEBERG'S RESTAURANT BONDI BEACH SYDNEY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the other day that the LA times have pronounced that Sydney was the best place in the world for food and that the Icebergs restaurant at Bondi Beach was one of those top restaurants in Sydney to eat so when I found myself there on Tuesday night I, and the rest of the family, decided that we would have our celebration dinner there.
WOW! WHAT A PLACE - WHAT A VIEW - WHAT GREAT FOOD.
Anyone going to Sydney should absolutely get a booking to go there for both the food and the view as it was absolutely delightful. Certainly a great food experience and a top spot and position. Will dine out on that evening for a long time.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM

Liz, I just checked the article ("Oz at the head of the table&quot
out of curiosity - it's at
http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...&cset=true

The writer doesn't quite go so far as to describe Sydney as "the best", but having said that, her reviews are so glowing (with the exception of Billy Kwong's, which didn't quite live up to expectations). It's about on par with the recent New York Times review of top Sydney restaurants.

Much more of this and stand by for price rises.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Talking of superlatives, did you see September issue of Australian Traveller magazine?: "its official: Australia is the best in the world. At its first inclusion in market research from Ahnholt-GMI's worldwide, 18,000-people, 25-countries survey, Australia was voted the 'No.1 nation', ranking tops in tourist, investment and immigration. The country's tourist assets were voted best in the world, and the survey also found Australians to be the friendliest, most honest and hospitable nationality, with many overseas people wanting to live here................"
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:16 AM

As my old grandmother used to say, "Pride goeth before a fall".
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Hi Liz,
Not a bad spot is it? They do a pretty good Sunday lunch, too
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara: Nice spot!!!!!!! That has to be the understatement of the week. Yes it must be one of the best spots around for a restaurant and equally nice day or night.
Neil: Pride may come before a fall but you have to remember that Pat didn't write the article someone else did from a survey of people from overseas - not Australians. But they are only telling us what we already knew anyway!
Cheers Liz
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM
LN

"The country's tourist assets were voted best in the world, and the survey also found Australians to be the friendliest, most honest and hospitable nationality"

We've been trying to tell you this for a loooooong time.

In addition, we have enjoyed about 95% of the food eaten while in Australia! But Iceberg's (??) Was that on the left side going down the hill into Bondi Beach Liz or where? We had a delightful brunch there one Sunday and it still brings great memories - food - staff - and view.
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Sssshhhh Liz, we won't be able to get a booking! (lol)
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM

I so agree Liz...a lovely place! I've been for lunch not at night. Would be nice to go there in Summer daylight saving to get the best of both.LN, Icebergs is on the right hand side if you mean coming down Bondi Road. Perhaps you went to Sean's Panaroma or Hugo's which are on the left side?
Old Sep 29th, 2005, 11:24 PM

Liz, I wasn't having a shot at Pat (I hope she didn't take it that way) - just don't want to see us getting big heads!
Old Sep 30th, 2005, 03:55 AM

Hey Neil, I know you wouldn't shoot the messenger and I was only quoting; my grandmother's comment would reflect yours. I did think twice about posting it as the excerpt may not have been entire and as an Australian even quoting it, it does sound just a trifle immodest. But then I thought "to hell with that" because its perfectly true.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 04:33 AM

Icebergs is SO Sydney!! I love the location and the food. Interested to hear you loved it on a Tuesday night. I have only ever been there for lunch.

The food is great too. However, I would go there on a beautiful Sydney day just for the location. It has to be one of the best.

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it so much lizF.
Old Oct 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

One other thing that impressed me was the service! I have not had that type of service for many years and through many countries - it was particularly good.
Yes the place was packed on a Tuesday and also had a double sitting because there seemed to have been a total customer changeover while we were there.
THIS IS FOR NEIL - ANYONE ELSE AS WELL WHO IS INTERESTED TOO.
Also went to "The Pot" in Randwick Neil and particularly thought of you when I was there. It is a great Chinese restaurant in an "ordinery" situation but food does make up for it and the cost is nice and cheap too.
At least I think the name is The Pot but will make sure of that at some time and repost. The only down thing there that was on the down side was that the chairs are short stools with no backs and as I need to have a back on my chair I would have been uncomfortable had it not been for the fact that I could lean back on the counter. There are many great restaurants in Randwick ( main centre) that I think in a way it rivals Newtown and at least they are easier to get at as well. If you can combine the food experience with a visit to the old Retro Cinema I think that would be really great - then a wonderful coffee after the show with a nice desert! Great spot! Great food and I believe too that you can often do a spot of celebrity watching - well they may only be footballers!
GO THE COWBOYS!!!!!!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM

Thanks for that, Liz. All I've ever done is (very occasionally) drive through Randwick and it wouldn't have occurred to me as a place to eat. Must check it out when the opportunity presents.

The only footballer I ever recognised in a pub of anywhere else was Mal Meninga, but at that time in Canberra you'd have had to be blind not to know what he looked like.