Hotel in Sydney

Jun 30th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Hotel in Sydney

I'm looking for a moderate priced hotel for four nights in Sydney August 18-21. Have found the Vulvan and wondered how it might compare to other hotels? Anyone have any experience with the Vulvan or suggestions for another place to stay? We will not have a car and want to do all the usual tourist activities so need public transportation or will be travelling on two feet! Thanks for any help!
Jun 30th, 2003, 01:47 PM

I dont know anything about that hotel, but we found some good selections at www.holidaycity.com. Ended up selection the Hotel Maitseri for our trip in the fall.
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:47 PM

Denise,
If you enter Sydney Hotels in the Search function at the top of the page you will see an endless amount of advice about hotels of all kinds in Sydney.
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:04 PM

a solid 3* place is the unilodge
less than $A100 a day
kitchenette if u want to do ur own brekkie
bus to city on the street
reasonable restaurants on glebe point road
Jun 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM

The Y on the Square is good value at about A$70. You can find plenty of cheap places that are bookable from A$ 50 with these guys-

www.freewebs.com/sydney_cheap_hotel_rates/
Jul 1st, 2003, 03:08 PM

We're staying at the Stellar Suites on Wentworth for $80 US. Centrally located and nice.
Jul 1st, 2003, 09:50 PM

I assume you mean the Vulcan Hotel? I did not stay there when I was in Sydney, but it was one of many that I checked out during my visit. In my opinion, it is a little off the beaten path. It's on the southern edge of the CBD, south of Chinatown. I would choose something further north, particularly since you only have four days.

If you are willing to wait until a week or two before the trip, you can get substantial savings by booking a hotel through wotif.com or needitnow.com.au.

In February 2003 I got the Stellar Suites on Wentworth for $85 AU on needitnow.com.au (about $54 US at that time). The lobby was under construction and I literally had to step over lumber and debris to get to the check-in desk. So I went down the street and checked in at the Travelodge on Wentworth (only about 3 dollars cheaper.)

The Travelodge is a 406-room hotel that has very little "character", (much less than the Stellar Suites), but the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. They have a kitchenette with microwave, refrigerator, sink, dishes and cutlery. There are also self-serve laundry facilities on several floors. Both it and the Stellar Suites are just south of Oxford Street and Hyde Park.

Across the street from the Stellar Suites and a few steps from the Travelodge is the YWCA's Y on the Park, which has accommodations ranging from dormitory-style to deluxe studios. There is also a Travelodge on Phillips Street, which is smaller and quieter and nearer to Circular Quay.

Of course, if you can afford to stay in or near The Rocks/Circular Quay, I recommend you do so. There are reasonably-priced accommodations there, but in general it is more expensive than other areas in the CBD. Check out the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, the Palisades, and the Russell.

Hotels similar in price to the Vulcan are The Park Regis, Pentura on Pitt, the Corus,and the Grand on Hunter Street (shared bathrooms). They are not in The Rocks, but all are more centrally located than the Vulcan. Of these four, our

Sydney has a wealth of hotels to suit all budgets and tastes, and I'm sure you can find something suitable. have a wonderful time in Sydney!

Jul 1st, 2003, 10:18 PM

I accidently posted the above before I was done. Sorry!

To finish the last sentence in the next-to-last paragraph: Of these four, in my opinion the Grand is the most interesting; the Park Regis is the best located; and the Corus is the most modern-looking.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:52 AM

I recommend going to wotif.com. Great deals - especially last 2 weeks to last minute. I'm from Kentucky and stayed here for 4-nights in mid-April.

I stayed at the Chorus Hotel on York St. I think. It is the perfect location. Right next to Wynyard train/subway station and an easy walk to Circle Quay (pronunced Key). The train goes everywhere and I recommend the $13 all-day pass.

The Chorus rate was around $111 (Aus.) or $67 (U.S.)

Jul 5th, 2003, 06:34 AM

Hello,

Just like Birdy above, I too stayed at the Corus on York, very near the train station. The hotel is nice, but remember, you'll likely only be there to sleep. I just returned from Sydney, traveling with a 13-year-old. The Corus is 2 blocks north of the train station, but not near any Sydney Explorer stops, which I highly recommend you use. Sydney is also full of slight hills, but they grow when you're tired from sight seeing all day. We ended up having to walk back to our hotel most the time (we stayed there 5 days) because there was no Explorer bus stop nearby, and it was quicker than having to wait for a city bus, which would have left us to walk a few blocks anyway.

The Corus is located north, near Circular Quay, but if you can get a hotel closer to the Quay, I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend you purchase the 5-day Sydney Explorer once you arrive at the airport (easy to find where to buy them), because it's good for the Explorer, city bus, ferries, etc. You can jump on and off as much as you like. I second the advice on not booking a hotel until about a week or two before you leave. There will be plenty still available. I went through wotif.com.

What you may find useful in doing, is getting a city map of Sydney before you book a hotel, and book one that's near bus stops/Explorer stops. The Explorer also has a recorded guide once you're on the bus that tells you about the city, and things you're currently seeing while on the bus.

We had a great time in Sydney. Do the Bridge Climb, Opera House, Taronga Zoo (GET THERE EARLY WHEN IT OPENS!), Aquarium, etc. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Donna

Search this Thread