Hilton or Carlton in Auckland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one is better and why? I can't seem to decide between the two. We like luxury and a nice location.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 09:02 AM
mjs

Have stayed at the Carlton and it is a nice hotel but I believe the Hilton is equally nice and in a better location.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Hi Shari,

Both Hotels are nice (though I have only ever been in for corporate events, I live here in Auckland so need for hotel accomodation). Location wise I would pick the Hilton. It is located on the end of Queens Wharf. It is in the middle of a restraurant and bar district as well, so you do not have to go far to find somewhere to eat (Outside of the Hilton's own well known restaurant, White).

You are close to the Ferry terminal which means it is easy to access the Gulf islands and Devonport.

If you do book the Hilton, enquire as to whether any cruise liners are due in. If there are then it pays to ask for a room that will not have its view obscured by the liners which dock right outside the hotel.

The Carlton is a nice hotel but it is located away from the town restaurant district, though it is next door to an entertainment district with a few theatres and cinemas. You also could not get a better feeling of security, you are next door to Auckland Central Police station, sirens and all.

Hope this helps

Steve
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I am really excited about seeing New Zealand!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:27 AM

I think another factor is how you like your hotels. If you don't like seriously hip, modern and cool hotels I'd consider giving the Hilton a miss. I stayed there last year - v nice hotel, great restaurant, excellent location - but jst not my sort of hotel. (I have a review on epinions site)