Auckland : Hilton or Hyatt ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you suggest me the best hotel between the Hilton and the Hyatt for location, modern style, rooms and service ?
Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:16 AM

I've stayed in neither as they are both in my hometown. BUT I can say for location the Hilton is the best. It is right in the middle of a restaurant district. A stones throw from the ferry terminal which means you can ferry out to Waiheke for the day to enjoy the wines, restaurants and beaches or you can ferry accross to Devonport to enjoy the village atmosphere and again good food. Close to the coach terminal from where the tour buses to outlying districts leave.

The Hilton is on the end of a wharf and as such has great views of the Harbour.

The Hyatt is up by the University and it is a bit of a hike up hill to get to it. Great views from the upper floors. Not a practical walk to the restaurants and shops of the High street precinct because of the climb back up the hill.

The Hilton is brand new as such the rooms should be good i.e built for todays traveller.

The Hyatt has brand new suite accomodation as well as older style hotel rooms. The older part of the hotel has been around for over 25 years.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Stayed in the Hilton on the Warf last year. The views are lovely and it is close to a lot of restaurants on the water front.

The only problem is we paid for a harbor view and on the first morning a cruise ship docked right next to us and our view was blocked for the entire trip. We enjoyed our balcony by checking out the people eating in the cruise dining room.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:22 AM
PJKeay

I stayed at the Hyatt 2 years ago, it was a very nice boutique hotel. I believe its expanded quitre a bit since then. Kiwi acct is right, its at the top of quite a steep hill. The rooms were nice but nothing special.

The Hilton looks much more striking and I've chosen to stop there this April

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Les

I differ in opinion from the earlier posters. We did not stay at either of the hotels mentioned (we chose the Crowne Plaza), and as a tourist, I would have been very unhappy with the Hilton location. You can be just as close to the ferry terminal (even closer), and much more conveniently located to the downtown shopping area and public transportation. We found that the Crowne Plaza rooms and location were ideal for us (although there are several other hotels equally convenient). I don't mean to imply that the Hilton is not a perfectly nice hotel, I'm just pointing out that there's more to Auckland than just the harbor, and you can position yourself more conveniently to see it all.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:43 PM

We just spent two nites at the Crowne Plaza. I am sure the Hilton has advantages such as a harbour view from the rooms and the bar but the Crowne Plaza was good as well for the money. We booked 21 days in advance and got a good rate ($145 NZ). The harbour view from the 26 floor is still more of a city view with a bit of harbour in the corner but is much better than the rooms on the other side of the hotel that look across the street at a building ($125NZ).
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:42 PM

Definately the Hilton, it's very modern and the staff are excellent. Highly reccomend!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 12:25 PM

Hi:

We stayed at the Hilton last October & it was great, not a 'big box corporate' Hilton but a 'boutique' one. Great location, view, Maritime Museum next door & the pool is really neat (clear plexiglass at ocean end so don't miss the view of the harbour even when underwater).

Z
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM

I live in AKL and have stayed in both - go Hilton. Both city and harbour sides lovely - check for cruise ships if you choose harbour side! Enjoy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Not to knock any of the hotels but in New Zealand I would only consider a B & B. If so inclined check out the Great Ponsonby.
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Jed

I have been looking at hotels in NZ for a planned trip next March. It seems that many of the 4-5* hotels in Auckland, Queenstown, and Christchurch are all $150-200 US and more. Is that true?

For instance, on Expedia, for next Feb, the cheapest room for Hilton is $218. Heritage Queenstown is $185. Any way, besides Priceline, to get a reduced rate? Do tourist agents do better?
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Jed:

Yes, the 4-5* hotels are that expensive, I used Hilton HHonors points for my stay at the Hilton Auckland (my points option for Auckland were the Sheraton & Hilton, since my 'corporate discount' rate had the Hilton at +3x the $$ of the Sheraton, I used my points there). But the Hilton Auckland isn't the usual 'big box' Hilton that most cities have.

Z
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:18 PM
SSJ

Just returned from Auckland. Stayed at the Hyatt. We were upgraded to a suite in the new building that was very nice. For the same price as our Regency Club Room. It had a wrap around balcony with great views of the water. A kitchen and a large bathroom. Very modern! It is a good walk from the harbor, but we did it several times.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Jed

May I ask, how much was the Regency Club room? Why were you upgraded?
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 04:57 PM
SSJ

The Club Room was $200 NZ. I made the reservation about 2 months before we went and the rate was good. I think it is higher now. I think we were upgraded because I put the we were celebrating the last days of our vacation and our 10th Anniversary. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Jed

Yes, thanks.

200 NZ is about 130 US which seems reasonable. Good info about special occasions.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 09:38 PM

Personally, I always prefer the Stamford Plaza. It is a 5* hotel (as are the Hyatt and Hilton) close to Queen St (the main inner city shopping street) and only 5 minutes walk from the Viaduct (the inner harbour area with bars and restauarnts).

For good prices on all Auckland hotels, try www.wotif.com - you can only book 14 days in advance but the rates are usually excellent.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Just returned from Auckland and booked the Rydges Hotel (one block fromSky tower) on wotif.com for 118NZ plus 4NZ booking fee. Room was small but very nice, location was great and very quiet. The Crowne Plaza was down the street and looked nice. Alana
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Jed

The wotif site is interesting because of the volume of information. But I am not sure, because of the that the rates are better than the usual sites, eg, expedia.