Search

May NZ honeymoon help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May NZ honeymoon help!

I'm having a really difficult time trying to plan twelve nights in NZ for my honeymoon. Since it's my honeymoon, I want to splurge. I'm definitely going to spend a few nights at Blanket Bay and maybe Solitare. Any suggestions for a third place to stay to get another perspective on the country (either North or South Island)? I live in a city so am more interested in exploring the different parts of the landscape as opposed to towns/museums. I also don't want to run around too much and instead choose a few remarkable places. If any of you NZ experts can offer any advice, I would be grateful!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:19 PM

We love the Malborough Sound area-north of south island. Check out www.BayofManyCovesResort.co.nz -glorious place for a few days R & R. Have fun!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - it looks beautiful. What's the best way to get there?
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM

We went out there Feb 2004 on a day cruise from Picton. Took about 1 hour via other resorts or I think you can charter a direct boat from Picton. Check BOMC website as I think they give you options. I would take some wine/champagne or spirits and some snacks/chocolates with me. It is isolated but magic and take lots of books! The people who run the place are very nice and I'm sure they'd make your honeymoon a memorable one! We plan on going for my birthday in May this year! Either there of Japan so maybe we'll run into each other. Have a brilliant honeymoon!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:31 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Lyndie beat me to it - I was also going to suggest the Marlborough Sounds. We're booked at the Bay of Many Coves in April. The hotel has arranged a water taxi for us with the Cougar Line.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both! What are your favorite day trips from Marlborough Sounds? And actually, if you have any favorites from Solitaire and or Blanket Bay I would love any advice!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:58 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Dancov -

I'm not familiar with either Blanket Bay or Solitaire, so I looked them up. WOW! You've picked some spectacular looking places!

For the benefit of other readers, Blanket Bay is near Queenstown and Solitaire is near Rotorua.

Because you're only in NZ for 12 days, you might want to consider exploring just one island. That way you can see more and still relax. Were you planning to fly between the two islands or take the ferry?

Bay of Many Coves is not accessible by car - we're going there primarily to relax and to walk some more of the Queen Charlotte Track. If you're interested in walking, you can take a water taxi from your accommodation to other areas within the sounds, and then walk back, or vice versa.

You'll be pretty isolated at the Bay of Many Coves, but if you're interested in visiting some wineries in the area, you can take a water taxi back to Picton, then take a wine trail tour from there.

If you want to see more of the Sounds, you can take a mail boat cruise within either Marlborough Sound or Pelorous Sound. Dolphin watching tours are also available.

As far as Queenstown goes, I'd highly recommend you take a drive to Glenorchy (40 minute drive from Queenstown). There's some great walking there and the Dart River Safari is a good way to spend a day.