Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What's your idea of a perfect honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:15 PM
PBT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been planning mine for a while now. At first I thought about going to New Zealand and Australia, particularly Queensland. Then I became intrigued by Capri and Corsica. Finally, I settled on a cruise around Antarctica on one of the refurbished Soviet-era icebreakers. With beautiful arctic scenery all around you, sub-zero temperatures, boozing passengers and a wacky crew -- this will surely be the experience of a lifetime! This trip will be a total surprise for her, of course. And I figure if she survives this, she's a keeper.

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM

Dear PBT,

That sounds more like a bachelor party than a honeymoon :-?

Good Luck - you'll need it!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM
ira

Hi PB,

A surprise honeymoon is not a good idea. How will your new bride know what to pack?
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM

One word.....Venice.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:29 PM
ira

PS

As a long-time sailor, I have an abhorrence of a wacky crew on blue water.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:40 PM

Sounds like a recipe for a brief and stormy marriage. In fact, once she finds out, you may have a solo honeymoon. If you are indeed serious, think about going back to the Capri, Corsica option!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Verily, you jest!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:19 PM

At the time we just went and chilled on a beach in Jamaica but now our ideal honeymoon would be luxury tented safaris in Africa, preferably at places with 5 or less tents.

We're renewing wedding vows in Africa next year and the trip will be a second honeymoon...

I hope you and your future wife have a wonderful trip, wherever you choose.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I always try to encourage people to think a lot less about WEDDINGS and HONEYMOONS and a lot more about MARRIAGE. In that vein, I would suggest that you spend half as much on THIS trip and save the rest to celebrate your first anniversary. Plan both trips together, by consensus.

Now go do the right thing!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:33 PM

I'm also curious what you mean by the trip being a total surprise to your bride. Are you planning to tell her before you get there? At what point will she be able to properly plan, especially for packing?

Hopefully you know her pretty well. Is this really what she'd want? Something about that line "if she survives this, she's a keeper" just seems so demeaning and seems to indicate this is some sort of test -- not what I'd usually think of as a "perfect honeymoon".
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Could you at least have a general chat with her about what KIND of holiday she's dreaming of for the honeymoon or even ask her to let you know her top 5 or 10 ideas so that it's still a surprise but you know you'll pick something she will also enjoy.

I would definitely make sure she knows enough to pack what she needs (not what <i>you</i> think she needs) for the trip...

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:16 PM

I smell a ta-roll! Or at least I hope so!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 02:50 PM
PBT
Original Poster

Thanks for voicing your concerns. Our destination will remain a secret until we arrive at the airport. Even then I will not exactly be telling the truth. All she'll know is that we are flying to Buenos Aires. So she'll think Argentina. I bet she'll be surprised, if not shocked, when I tell her upon arrival in Buenos Aires that we'll be catching yet another flight to Ushuaia. Then on to the icebreaker!

I will be doing all the packing for both of us which, under the circumstances, will have to be done in the most secretive manner. So far I've got caribou parkas, double-insulated boots, a few wool sweaters and a bunch of warm socks on my list. Given the fact that there will be no formal events on this trip, I am leaving her evening dress and my suits behind. Also, considering the limited privacy and uneven room temperature of the ship's sleeping quarters, I am debating the need for bringing along her whole lingerie collection. Plenty of warm underwear though. Will keep you posted.

Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:13 PM

A surprise perfect honeymoon = perfect Divorce..
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:16 PM

My marriage to anybody who'd plan this, not even a honeymoon, any vacation, would survive till I see that ice-breaker. Make sure you pack her credit card as she'll be going home alone.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:19 PM

&lt;&lt;I bet she'll be surprised, if not shocked, when I tell her upon arrival in Buenos Aires that we'll be catching yet another flight to Ushuaia.&gt;&gt;

DO be sure to take pictures of this special moment, and post upon your return.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 03:28 PM

I'm with Faina...
I'd be happy with a surprise trip on an ice-breaker as a regular holiday but for my honeymoon? Nuh uh.
Then again, you know her and none of us do so only you can really know whether she'll love you or leave you...
Good luck!
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:15 PM
PBT
Original Poster

Thanks again for all your suggestions. I have not yet sent in my deposit, so there is still room for change.

Part of the problem in planning this trip is that I am yet to locate a companion willing to embark with me on this one heck of a journey. I may have come up with a plan for a perfect honeymoon trip (or not!) but am still looking for the perfect bride to take along. That will take some time, I am sure, so I am not too worried about divorce just yet. In fact, I just remembered that I recently convinced myself to stay single for a few more years (the strongest argument in favor of marriage was, of course, avoiding the single supplement charges when traveling).

Oh well, my bad. Happy holidays everyone.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 04:53 PM

Thanks PBT for my best laugh of the day.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 06:23 PM

My friend once said he was single by choice. He then added it wasn't HIS choice.

My perfect honeymoon would be if I didn't care WHERE I went.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -