Search

Taupo vs Bay of Islands

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taupo vs Bay of Islands

Hello All!
I am planning a trip for a week to New Zealand in June. Which do you think would be a better base location and show more of what New Zealand is really like? Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

First, I feel obliged to say that if you can extend your stay at all, it would be a really good idea.

Taupo is near the center of the North Island and would make a good base. The Bay of Islands is north of Auckland, and you'd have to travel farther to see other parts of the island.

Or you could spend your week on the South Island, maybe centering yourself in Queenstown. It depends on what you like to do.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply! I wish we could extend, but we only have the short time We were planning Austrailia for one week and New Zealand for the other.

We like outdoor stuff, skiing, kayaking, hiking and stuff like that. Would it be more wintery on the South Island? Is it way better? Is there car ferry service between the two islands or is too far for that?
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:03 PM

It might be worth your while to stick with either Australia or New Zealand for two weeks.

There is car ferry service between the North and South Islands. Most rental companies allow you to drop your car on one island and pick up another one on the other island.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:03 AM

For one week you should stick to the North Island since it is winter in June. I would say that Taupo/Rotorua will give you a good taste of New Zealand scenery.