Australian Rules Football/Rugby - need information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see a game in Sydney. The plan right now puts me in Sydney area from April 12-17. I will leave Sydney early on the 17th, but that could change.

I did some research but I'm still confused. It seems like there will be 3 top flight games over the weekend of 4/15-17 in the Sydney area. The Bulldogs, Rabbitohs and Swans will host the games.

It looks to me like the first 2 teams are in a different league (NRL) and the Swans are in AFL. Is that correct? Also what's the difference between the leagues?

Putting your team loyalties aside for the moment, which game would you choose for a tourist that has no idea about the game but wants to learn as well as have some fun and soak up the game atmosphere? The Swans are scheduled for 4/17 which may not work, but the other 2 are very much possible.

Just so you know, I'm a very loyal Chicago Bears (American Football) fan and also a very old and loyal Manchester United fan.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Any other possibilities that I possibly missed during my research would also be welcomed.

One more question - tickets? hard to get or walk up possible?

Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM

>It looks to me like the first 2 teams are in a different league (NRL) and the Swans are in AFL. Is that correct? Also what's the difference between the leagues?

Hello,

NRL is National Rugby League. AFL is Australian Foot Ball League.

They are not just different leagues but completely different games.

NRL is Rugby League which is an Australian made variation to the British game 'Rugby Union'.

AFL is Australian Rules Football. Similar to Gaelic football in Ireland.

In Sydney Rugby League is much more popular than Australian Rules. Although both games have a strong following.

If you're used to watching a game like American Football you would probably prefer rugby league. You could draw comparisons and understand it more easily.

AFL would appear quite uncoordinated to a fan of American Football, Rugby Union or Rugby League.

Australia-wide, AFL is the more popular game. However, in the states of New South Wales and Queensland, Rugby League rules.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:13 AM

BTW. I'm Irish and don't have any team biases. My personal preference is Rugby League. Probably because it's similar to my favourite sport 'Rugby Union'.

The Aussie Rules boys are involved in an internation competition with our GAA (gaelic football) boys. We beat them last year *rub in* =)
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:24 AM

American Football Vs Rugby League...

AF has a concept of 'downs' just like rugby league where they are called 'tackles'.

In RL you can't throw the ball forard. That's called a knock on or a forward pass.

In RL you can kick forwards but only players behind you at the time of the kick are allowed to catch the ball (otherwise they're offside).

In RL most players don't wear any form of padding. Those who do may wear a rubber headgear or shoulder pads. These are optional.

In RL the game is kept moving. AF the game stops to measure the field and swap offensive/defensive teams. RL is not so accurate because we don't like the game stopping.

In AF, you can reset the down (tackle) count by making x amount of yards in ground. in RL you cannot. If your team is tackled 6 times you must hand the ball over to the opposition.

in RL to score a Try (similar to a touchdown) the player must touch the ball on the ground. They gain 4 points and have an opportunity to kick from goal (called a conversion) to gain another 2 points.

A field goal (a drop kick placed bewteen the posts during play) is 1 point and is rarely attempted.

A penalty place kick (ball is kicked from the ground) is worth 2 points.

In RL it is illegal to obstruct or tackle a player who does not have the ball.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:29 AM

>tickets? hard to get or walk up possible?

Tickets to both AFL and NRL games (in sydney) are very easy to get so long as the game is not a Semi/Grand final game. You can usually show up on the day but to be safe, book your tickets here...

http://www.ticketec.com.au/Detection...2fDefault.aspx
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the game education. I didn't realize these 2 leagues played 2 different games.

Now what about the stadiums. The Telstra (Bulldogs) or Aussie (Rabbitohs) Stadiums. One easier to get to than the other? I will be staying at the Sydney Harbour Marriott.

Atmosphere?

Tickets? which one would be easier?
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

One more question.

When do the game dates get finalized? I looked at the ticket site and the games in March have a day and time, whereas the April games only have the weekend dates and no game times. I would hate to purchase a ticket and find out the game is on the 17th instead of the 15th or 16th.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM

Hi AAFF,

Do try to see an AFL game - really exciting, and different. It is not a game you are as likely to see around the world as Rugby League. There are clubs outside Australia but not a large number. Not sure if your trip takes you to Melbourne, buit if it does you should be able to see a game there! I love it, and coach the game at school here in New Zealand.
Dot
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

dotty,

I will be in Melbourne so I will check the schedules. I will also be in Auckland, arriving late afternoon on April 9(I think) and leaving early on April 12. If there are any games during that time please let me know.

Thanks
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM

The rugby league (rabbitohs and bulldogs etc) times are announced about 7 weeks out.You do not need to buy tickets to any regular season rugby league game any more.(Rupert Murdoch has seen to that.)You can just walk up and buy tickets.

The point about other cities is a good one....melbourne has afl and brisbane has both afl and nrl.

In sydney
telstra stadium is the olympic stadium...interesting to see but no atmosphere when there 15000 ppl in an 80000 capacity stadium.

aussie stadium is a specific football stadium..holds about 40 k...walking distance from the city..souths would draw a typical crowd of say 15000 but they are pretty passionate.

the SCG (sydney cricket ground) where the swans play is sydney's premier ground
now I am not an aussie rules fan but for atmosphere the swans v adelaide on april 17 could be your best bet.Buy a ticket...catch a train to central from the quay..follow the red and white fans up the hill to the "G"..have a drink at "the cricketers arms" on the way..strike up a yarn with someone on the walk about aussie rules..by halftime you will be abusing the umpires with the rest of the fans.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:41 PM

With regard to the venues - Telstra Stadium is at Homebush and is the Olympic Stadium - it is reached by taking a train from Central station in the city. From the Mariott you would take a train from Martin Place, Circular Quay or Wynyard and change at Central for Olympic Park. Once at Central is is all extremely well marked - you just must keep in mind you are wanting Olympic Park.
Aussie Stadium is at Moore Park which is on the fringe of the CBD.
We go there for many Rugby games and walk from the Sheraton on the Park Hotel which is in the CBD, alternatively there are buses from Circular Quay or the Railway.
So to recap, both venues are very accessible and I am sure you will enjoy whichever game you choose.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM

>Atmosphere?

Aussie stadium is smaller and based on that i'd say the atmosphere better. Aussie stadium is also a purpose built stadium. That is, it is purely for rugby league and thus, the field is no larger than it has to be (same size as an american football field).

Telstra stadium used to be called 'Stadium Australia'. It is the one they built for the olympic games. It has a much larger capacity but it is an olympic stadium. The field is larger and therefore you are seated further away from the game.

Tickets?
I don't think you'll have trouble getting tickets to either. Aussie stadium has a capacity of 40000. Stadium Australia during the olympics heald 120K. However, they've since removed seats. I can't remember if the current capacity is 80K or 100K but you get the picture...

which one would be easier? Telstra Stadium was build to handle much larger crowds and it does it well. You practically step off the train and into the stadium. I'd have to go with Telstra on that one. I was there for a Rugby league grand final in 2000 (a month before the olympic games). I've never found it easier to enter and exit a stadium in my life. Though the game didn't attract a capacity crowd because everyone knew Brisbane would win ;-).
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:43 PM

I forgot to say that I think you will find the Draw is set in stone at this stage so although times may not be listed the dates are very unlikely to change, as members would have received their season tickets etc. by now.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM

Prue
the rugby league "play around" with their schedule due to tv comittments for the friday night game.

Of course the waratahs and swans fixtures are solid.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:49 PM

>>NRL is Rugby League which is an Australian made variation to the British game 'Rugby Union'<<

I have little interest in sport, but have to correct this one. Rugby League wasn't invented in Australia. It was formed in Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1895 with the defection of 21 clubs when the Northern Rugby Union, later the Northern Rugby Football League, split from the Rugby Football Union. Rule changes followed over time.

The split was caused by the RFL's insistence on strict amateurism. The RFL was dominated by 'gentlemen'; banning the payment of players made it very difficult for the time-challenged working class in the north of England to play, and ensured the continued dominance of the gentry. (Ref: www.rl1895.com)

The class-consciousness aspect of the games continues to this day, with League followers deriding Rugby Union as the game of effete private schoolboys. The hard fact though is that wordwide, Rugby Union is far more popular than League.

From my (sports-illiterate) perspective, Rugby Union is a more lively, interesting game than Rugby League, but Australian Rules (AFL) beats them both for flair and entertainment value, and is uniquely Australian. For a visiting American unfamiliar with any of them I would strongly recommend AFL.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:53 PM

>Australian Rules (AFL) beats them both for flair and entertainment value, and is uniquely Australian

And how is anyone supposed to believe you when you go around saying things like that?

Sorry but AFL is uncoordinated... I can't watch.

I was in Australia when the superleague started. The NRL had an advertising campaign opposing the superleague where they kept saying they invented the sport. They certainly control it and noone else in the world plays it. Here in Ireland only Australians play rugby league.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM

AZG, my recommendation of AFL was purely a matter of opinion and as such neither to be believed nor disbelieved, merely accepted or rejected. And it has no bearing on the plain historical fact that Rugby League was invented in the north of England, which a few seconds' web searching will reveal.

"...noone else in the world plays it"? Check www.rfl.uk.com, www.superleague.co.uk and www.world.rleague.com for a start. And no, all those English, Welsh, Scottish etc., etc. teams weren't created by visiting Australians.

Personally, I wouldn't be found dead at a football match of any description, and I hold no brief for any of its variants. My utter and complete ignorance of rules and tactics, and my total indifference to outcomes, makes me completely objective and the best possible recommender.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:50 PM

AAFF

From a female perspective - the men with the best legs play AFL!

Those with the least anything (legs, looks, manners, style, ethics, morals, etc.) play Rugby League!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:44 PM

Perhaps I'm biased here, so I apologise in advance. If you decide to watch AFL, try to see it at the MCG. In Melbourne, AFL is a religion. The MCG is a temple. If you see two Melbourne based clubs playing there it will be full of passion, spectacle and atmosphere, especially the bigger clubs. You will also avoid a one-sided crowd. The MCG is easy distance to the CBD and getting tickets is generally no problem. If you know nothing about the game, just turn to the person next to you, explain where you're from and he/she will happily tell you everything. If you decide you are interested, post the dates you will be in Melbourne and I'll check the schedule for you.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:58 PM

>And it has no bearing on the plain historical fact that Rugby League was invented in the north of England, which a few seconds' web searching will reveal.

I accept that I made an incorrect statement. I didn't do a web search because I didn't realise that in Australia people are allowed to make tv ads that tell complete and utter lies to the population.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -