Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

How much time to allow for North vs. South Island in New Zealand?

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be visiting New Zealand November 15-December 3. We're trying to determine how to divide our time between the North and South Islands. My husband is interested in tramping and other outdoor pursuits, and has heard that the South Island is best for that. I, however, love beaches and tropical settings and have heard that the North Island is great for that.

Normally I would spend time researching this, but we need to decide quickly so we can book our connecting flight from Auckland to Queenstown as part of our overall itinerary. We're using miles to fly, so time is of the essence.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Hi, Jonesey,
Have just posted a response to your June request - ignore it!
In response to your posting this time. It will still be quite cool for swimming when you are here as we are just coming out of Spring. Beaches around this area may be okay for swimming, and even perhaps around Hawke's Bay, as Wilees mentioned in your earlier posting.
The best place for tropical settings is the top half of the North Island.
Some of the most interesting non-swimming beach areas, in my opinion, are on the West Coast of the South Island, and around the Catlins area. They are wild and fascinating. I would tend to allow 5 - 7 days on the North Island, and 10 -12 on the South Island. Kaiteriteri Beach, just out of Motueka in Marlborough, is a very popular beach for swimming.
Whichever way you go, do enjoy the time spent in our country.
Dot
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 10:40 AM

My husband and I have taken 2 trips to NZ - 3 weeks in 2002 spending time on both islands and 10 days in 2003 exclusively on the North Island. We much preferred the South Island primarily because of it's diversity of landscape and scarcity of people and would go there again in a hearbeat (or after a major lotto winning!). We did enjoy the Coromandel Pennisula on the North Island but did not get to the beach areas further north. Highlights for us on the South Island were Fiordland National Park (particularly the overnight cruise on Milford Sound), rainforest-glacier area on the eastern coast, and the Christchurch area. On our first trip we flew from Auckland to Queenstown and then rented a car to tour the island, then flew back to the Hawks Bay area on the North Island for the remainer of our time. Second time we concentrated our stay in the Taupo, and Rotorua area. We are both fly-fisher people but are not fanatics so we like to do as much sightseeing, hiking and relaxing as fishing. NZ is an ideal place for all these things and the Kiwi's are terrific hosts too! No matter what you decide to do, you'll have a memorable trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM

This e-mail is actually for the "ckaszubkis", we're heading for NZ in Dec/Jan and will be fly fishing Turangi and Napier - any suggestions?
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 08:01 AM

My son and daughter-in-law served in the Peace Corps in Tonga. Christmas 2002 we met them on the South Island of New Zealand. We rented a car and spent 3 weeks driving around the South Island. We would have loved to have had another week or two. Our favorite areas were the West Coast, mountains and Fiordland and the southern end of the island where we stayed at Greenwood Farmstay on the very tip of the South Island. Fabulous.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Hi Fallrats with apologies to Jonesey! We didn't flyfish in the Napier area, but a wonderful place none the less. Definitely take the drive to TeMata Peak for fabulous views of the entire valley. We also did a tour of Napier, the Art Deco City,which was very worthwhile. We did fish further north of Napier in and around Lake Rotoroa where we stayed at the Lake Rotoroa Lodge. Both trips we fished in the Turangi area and stayed at the Tongariro Lodge. Great accommodations and fishing both places using guides supplied by the lodges. In Taupo north of the Turangi area, don't miss the Huka Falls.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:22 PM

Let me try and help make this simple for you : South Island is the most beautiful place on the planet.