One week in New Zealand...

May 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

One week in New Zealand...

I know, how can I do it all in one week, but how can I? I'll be staying in Syndey for a few months, and before I settle down to a short term job, I would like to spend a week or so in NZ in June, solo...Any ideas? Preferrably not too rough - a little peace, quiet and rugged beauty would be great. Or maybe something different. Open to suggestions...Thanks!
May 2nd, 2005, 04:28 PM

YOu sound like you want to 'veg' and relaz and not scurry around trying to see everything.
We really liked Wanaka in the south island, about an hour from Queenstown. It was a place we could have stayed and rested for awhile. Great town in a great area. But it might be chilly in June.
SO, if you want warmer weather, I'd head for the Bay of Islands area north of Auckland. I loved Paihia and could have stayed there awhile. But it isn't as rugged as the south island, but a beautiful area. Taking a tour out on a catamaran was one of the most relaxing days I had.

Good luck.
May 2nd, 2005, 06:18 PM

The South Island, absolutely! (With all due respects to the North Island!) Milford Sound is rugged and has all level of accomodations from back-packer to very-well cared for... There are also yellow eyed penguins, seals, an Albatross Colony , water-rises (a waterfall that stops mid-air due to a thermal coming up from Milford Sound) and most and best of all, from the people who live there, Hospitality from the Heart. I haul in from Maryland, USA any time I can, and have NEVER been disappointed. All the best, D
May 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM

I would endorse Kodi's comments re Wanaka and Bay of Islands. However, the South island is much more scenic.Wherever you are it will be a bit "nippy" in June, you might consider keeping warm in the thermal baths in Rotorua.
May 4th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, this helps! —Steph