Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Hey, Icuy! Are you still around? I need your help! Alan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Alan

Icuy, I haven't seen your posts for quite some time now, but in the next few months I will be in the position of asking Fodorites for help instead of offering it, and I know you're a whizz on Japan (I have seen some of your old posts). If you are still around, can you get in touch? Thanks!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 10:34 PM
lcuy

Hi Alan- I've been here, but been so busy at woork, I've been lurking more than writing! I love travelling in Japan, and go as often as I can talk my husband into getting the &quot;yen&quot; ...Let me know how I can help!<BR>Lucy

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Alan

Hi, Icuy!<BR>It's great to know that you're still around... I miss some of the great old names, such as you and Liz and Mina! Can you email me privately with your real email address (which, I presume, is not xxx@aol!) so that I can pick your brains re cheap family accommodation in Kyoto (not really the stuff of the Australia/NZ board!).... it seems that I might actually be going on a trip next year instead of envying all these people on Fodor's coming out to Australia from far away places with strange-sounding names. Time to get my own back, eh?<BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Mina

Well Alan, it's about time you treated yourself to a trip! I hope Lucy can help you make it a great one.<BR><BR>I've been pretty much lurking too. Everyone usually says what needs to be said, so I only post when I feel I can help. I've also been traveling a lot for business and am busy planning my 2 month backpacking jaunt through Europe (so I've been on the Europe forum more than here). <BR><BR>But I do still love coming here and reading all your helpful hints, and seeing all the people get excited to visit Australia!

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Debbie

Hi Mina--<BR>Since you're lurking about thought I'd say HAPPY BIRTHDAY! <BR><BR>Debbie

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM
Mina

thanks Debbie...it was a good one!

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
shannon

So Alan...you are gonna be the tourist this time!!!<BR><BR>My parents live in Japan (2nd time around)...they lived there in the early/mid 90's for 5 years and I got to visit twice!<BR><BR>After my Europe trip in 2003, I am planning a 2004, 10 day trip to Japan.<BR><BR>My parents are living in the Yokuska area. So they aren't too far from Tokyo.<BR><BR>I never made it to Kyoto....would love to hear about it. AND would love to get some ideas of must see cities!<BR><BR>My husband has NEVER been and I never really got to see anything but Tokyo, Yokohama, Yokuska and Camp Zama/Naval Airfield Atsugi (first place they lived).<BR><BR>My first stepmom took me to some really old &quot;castle&quot;...it was set up like a museum and basically was on the edge of a cliff. Had a lot of really old samurai type artifacts and a small zoo.<BR><BR>Made it to Mt Fuji but didn't get to climb.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
Alan

Hi, Mina, Debbie and Sharon!<BR>Hey, this post is getting to be like a reunion! Great to hear from you and the others ... I guess I should have put this on the Asia board, but it's nicer to be among friends!<BR>Shannon, you will wait a long time for my report ... this trip has to co-ordinate with the cheap air fares from Australia, and that will be after Christmas, 2003 (round the world, $AUD1599... cheap enough for an old cheapskate like me... but I do have four tickets to buy --daughters 10 and 8!)In the meantime, if you have any clever ideas on how to save money in Japan (which, I hear, is one of the most expensive countries in the world), then please email me privately and share them! My aim is to see a bit of Japan for the same kind of money that I could see Hong Kong or Bangkok, two of the alternative stops with this fare. Thanks!