Help with fiji honeymoon itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling to fiji in mid Sept on my honeymoon. Our plan is to visit Taveuni for about six days. We are looking at renting a beachfront house in Matei called lomalagi.(anyone heard of it?) Then we will go on a Blue Lagoon cruise (is gold worth it?) for 3 nights and finally finish with 4 nights at either a yasawa or mamanuca island resort.

Any suggestions on whether to stay in the Yasawas or Mamanucas for the last leg of our trip? We want something quiet with great beaches and snorkeling. We would also like a beachfront bure. Cost should be less that $400 USD/night.

Lastly on the Blue Lagoon cruise I know they will pickup at certain resorts, but will they drop off as well? If they do that might make those Mamanuca resorts more appealing.

Thanks for you help.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 09:29 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Not familiar with the house but are with the owner - great, interesting guy. Enjoy beautiful Taveuni (but a note - bug repellent is a good idea.)
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I highly recommend Navini for the last stop. The snorkeling there was excellent, everyone there is so friendly, and it's so small, quiet, and relaxing. Our first 2 days there we only had 2 other couples there.
Another plus is that they run their own boat/shuttle to the airport so it's very easy, quick, to get there and back.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll check Navini out
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Steeler, It is nice that you have so much time to spend in Fiji. You are in for a great experience!

We stayed at Octopus and Bounty Islands, both in the mamanucas.

At Octopus we were only allowed to explore approx 100 yards (maybe a little more) of beach on our own. The Bures and snorkling was GREAT. The food was good, the guest that we met were interesting and fun. Here we could rent kayaks, learn to scuba dive, visit a village for a kava ceremony or take advantage of other day trips. Or, we could just planly relax and read.

The Village is was a real eyeopener. We will always carry this Fiji (Octopus) experience with us in our hearts and souls.

We also visited Bounty Island, I ran around this Island in 15 min. We walked through a tropical garden, played ping pong and used all snorkling equipment and water toys for free. Good food here too. We also kayaked around the island. There was an airconditioner in our Bure here.

Both places had different things to offer.

I hope this helps you.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 03:56 AM

Hi Steeler,
We stayed at Matamanoa, Tokoriki, and the 3-night BLC in January.
My first recommendation is to get the 6-night BLC. We wanted to, but the boat was being refurbished the week we were there. You will regret it if you only do the 3-night (but the 3-night is better than none!)
If I were you, I would stay at Matamanoa (INCREDIBLE SNORKELING!!) for the first nights and then have the BLC cruise pick you up for the 6-night cruise, ending in Nadi for your flight home. They do not drop off at the resorts, they only pick-up, and only the gold level picks up at all. That alone makes the gold level worth it.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Tim and Liz

What was Matamonoa like? The resort picture appears to have a pool? What was the food like? What did you do there?

Thank you for sharing.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Yes, there is a great infinity pool. The food was pretty good. Our main activities were swimming in the pool and snorkeling directly off of the beach.
You may want to read my trip report at
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34745319