Help in deciding: Bali or Bora Bora

Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Help in deciding: Bali or Bora Bora

Hi all:

I need some advice quickly. In need of beach and relaxation but on a budget. Would like to go to either place. Some packages I've searched out from LAX are 5-6 nights. Is this enough time? I really would like to stay for 8 nights. But really but the best in terms of relaxation and exploring. As much as Bora Bora appeals to me, what else there to do?

Thanks
Aug 2nd, 2003, 08:47 PM

If you are on a budget, Bali would suit you better, it's very cheap there. I've heard Tahiti is expensive. There may still be government warnings about visiting Indonesia (Bali) after the bombings, check your government websites for travel advice. This may affect your decision.
Kay
Aug 4th, 2003, 07:28 AM

There is a much smaller threat of anti-American activity in Bora Bora.

Remember that Bali is in Indonesia, the #1 Islamic country in the world. They already blew up one bomb, maybe more coming.

Bora Bora is part of French Polynesia. The locals like Americans simple because we spend alot. The French tourists hate Americans. They, however, are unarmed.

I speak French but I do not let on that fact. I just listen to what they say about Americans. They arrogantly assume that no American can speak French. What they say is not pretty.

Your money is your vote. With these two choices you are either supporting an Islamic country that outwardly hates us or a French country that subtly hates us.

You will not be liked in either place. You'll probably be more tolerated in Bora Bora. For that kind of money go elsewhere.
Aug 4th, 2003, 01:23 PM

I just wanted to say that "dilbert"'s comments were the funniest I've ever read here on Fodors. I'm sure he speaks pretty close to the truth, too. Generalizations, I know - but they come from somewhere, ya know.

If budget is a factor - I'd check out Fiji or Cook Islands. Less of a terrorist threat and less Frenchies to bother you and make fun of you. Plus - it costs considerably less. I've heard the people are really friendly in Fiji - maybe because they're not predominantly French like in Tahiti. Good luck!
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:03 PM
JP

Yeah, real funny.

Yes, Bora Bora is beautiful (and VERY expensive). What else is there to do there? Mostly water sports.

Bali is indeed in a country with an Islamic majority, but the majority of Balinese are Hindu. They were horrified at what happened last year. Their island is a fascinating place, with plenty to see and do for much longer than a week.

Aug 7th, 2003, 04:46 AM

I would prefer Bali, because of the cultural background. Even they had a bomb explosion in 02 it doesnt mean that people do not like tourists or even americans. We will go to Bali this year again, it's safe and the majority of balinese people are NOT moslems - these people live on the other islands.
To Bora Bora I have to say it's good for watersports but better to make some Island hopping - as it is much more boring and indeed expensive there. AND I have to say - as I am german - French people are always arrogant against people not speaking their languages - it's a common problem with them as they call themself "la grand nation" the great nation - well, arrogant or not - if you like french cuisine and wine as well as the sometimes "nonchalant" and liberate way of french people and willing to pay the extra - enjoy your stay !
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM

I fail to see what is funny about the post from Dilbert.

He obviously hasn't been to Bali and his generalizations and xenophobic comments only show ignorance and a lack of class.

Furthermore, his obviously hostile attitude towards the French resulted in them sneering at him as the typical Ugly American (...to quote another poster ""Generalizations, I know - but they come from somewhere, ya know."").

Pretending you can't speak a local language just to spite the native is a pretty lame way of making the best of your trip.

I have traveled to Bali and to French Polynesia and many other places with a smile and a friendly attitude and I have never felt that the French or anyone else treated me with anything else but respect and courtesy.

Americans should let go of their siege mentality and arrogant attitude as displayed by Dilbert, and they may realize that people all over the world are more than willing to be friendly and welcoming. But stop expecting the world to be America or speak American.

As for Dilbert, he should do the world a favor and vacation no further than Honolulu.
Aug 12th, 2003, 03:17 AM
cabicou

Right on Jacky!!!! Dilbert sounds like a real "Ane"! I speak French and I never heard any anti-American comments once during my two visits to French Polynesia.
Bora Bora is magnificent but touristy and the people working in the service industry were friendlier on the other islands such as Moorea, Huahine and Raiatea.
I really am so sick of this anti French garbage! Its such a throw back to old stereo types. The arrogant American expecting everyone else in the world to speak American was also a old stereotype. Yet I can see that it has just reared its ugly head on this forum!!! Granted, I am third genreration Franco American so I might be a little touchy about the subject. I just have a low tolerance for ignorance.
Its funny when I spoke French in Tahiti people would asked me" Vous venez du pays de Celine Dion? Do you come from the land of Celine Dion?

Aug 12th, 2003, 05:46 AM

Jacky, the French ARE NOT natives of Bora Bora!!! Do you know anything about French Polynesia? That was such a ridiculous statement and insensitive to the Tahitian people, the REAL natives of Bora Bora. The French are there because the atolls are great for testing nuclear bombs.

As for the original post, I don't think Bora Bora would be the place to go. FP is not a beachy resort type destination. You sit on the deck of your bungalow, sip champagne, and watch time pass. A little snorkelling, some SCUBA diving and that's about it. If anything in FP, I'd suggest Moorea, it's more polynesian, there's more going on, still, not as active as things in Mexico or the Carribean, totally different.

As for the French, I'm a second generation Franco-American, lived in France, and I'm not afraid to say the stereotyping is mostly true. But as Americans, we tend to act just as bad or worse when we see a foreigner on the streets of a city trying to get directions. An American in Paris speaking only English can easily get help with directions in the metro. Not as easy for a Frenchman in the NY subway. French Polynesia has areas which are much more "polynesian" than French and my experience has been that the Tahitians like Americans more than the French tourists.

If you're an American, check the State Dept's advisory on Bali and decide for yourself.
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:11 AM

Geez LOKI, thank you for informing me that Tahitians and French are not the same.... I guess I was confused for a second...

All I was saying is that Dilbert suffers from a bad attitude reflected by his xenophobic comments and the fact that he purposefully wouldn't speak French (one of the official language of the island - yes, the other one being Tahitian). This had nothing to do with insulting any "native".

As for you, your comments about the French being there for testing nuclear bombs is also pretty lame to say the least. The French were there since the 1800 and may be there a while longer (until the Tahitians vote for full independence - not quiet yet). The nuclear tests were a very bad idea that thankfully lasted only a few years. But it was no different that what the British did in Australia and the US in Nevada (soon to resume - thank you Mr. Bush).

Your advice on Bora Bora is as dumb as the rest of your post -- "Bora Bora is not a beachy resort"??? . Hmm, I guess it must be a mountain resort, except that there is the most beautiful lagoon in the world where you can swim, snorkel, sun bake, dive, kayak, fish, go on shark-feeding excursion, jetski, waterski, etc, etc... and, guess what, there is even sand you can lie on!! But, yes, sitting on the deck of your overwater bungalow sipping champagne and looking at the view of mount Otemanu across the turquoise lagoon really sucks.

Re Moorea, no, it's not any more Polynesian than Bora Bora. There are fewer hotels, but there are more restaurants/shops due to its proximity to Papeete (the locals go there on weekends), but there are not more excursions or activities than there are in Bora Bora. And no, it isn't Cancun or St Martin, and thankfully so.

If TRAVELDOGG wants a more laid back and traditional Polynesian island he can go to Huahine or any of the atolls.

As for Bali, yes it is very pretty, cheaper, lovely people and rich culture, but it is crowded, beaches are not very nice and it's much further than Tahiti and doesn't not have the romance, or the lagoons.

And yes, it is not as safe due to the surrounding muslim islands.
Aug 19th, 2003, 02:36 PM

I was away a few days....

Notice that I stated that the French tourists are the problem. The locals are fine.

You are on drugs if you think that as a Western Christian / Jew you will be appreciated in an Islamic country.

Face it, Islamic people hate us. Didn't they just explode another bomb in Bali? More coming? Hmmmm? Maybe you should go Jacky and cabicou. Wear a big cross or star of David. Maybe a yamulke.

Face it...French people hate Americans. They will however take our money. Given their 'lack of cooperation' in overthrowing Saddam we should vote with our feet right out of French territory.
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:00 AM

I just read the last postings from Dilbert and others about the French, Muslims, etc. Overall this converstion was histerical, better than day time television for sure. Dilbert may be a bit "colorful" when he makes a point, but lets face it he is right.

Back to business, are to cook Islands a good place to go? What is there to do ? Would New Years time be good weather ?
Any insights are appreciated.

Aug 21st, 2003, 11:04 AM

Hello again JackandCarolyn,

The Cooks are our favorite tropical destination so far (been to the Cooks (Rarotonga & Aitutaki), French Polynesia (ie Tahiti, Moorea, & Bora Bora), Hawaii (ie Oahu & Kauai) and Puerto Vallarta (Mexico)). The Cooks are similar in appearance to FP (though without true overwater bungalows) but much, much cheaper and (in our opinion) much friendlier people. I actually wrote a rather lengthy comparison of Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Cooks, and if you are interested, you can read it here:

http://www.epinions.com/user-lordbalfor

I also have photos of the places here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lordbalfor

Ken

PS: Dilbert is incorrect in his assertion that there was another explosion on Bali (though I wouldn't rule out one in the future). The most recent attact was actually it was in Jakarta (the capital) on an entirely different island. And while it is true that Indonesia is overwhelmingly Muslim, Bali is not. The people there depend heavily on Western tourists and have been financially devastated by the Bali attack and its' financial fallout. They are by most accounts some of the friendliest and peaceful people on earth. I firmly believe that they WANT you to go there and would make you feel very welcome.

Having said that, I do think that there are (unfortunately) some risks in going there since the radical groups based on the other islands would definitely like sow whatever discord they can anyplace there are Westerners. Bali makes an easy and tempting target.

French Polynesia (or the Cooks for that matter) are indeed a much safer destination in this regard. With little or no local Muslim population to blend in with, terrorists would stand out like a sore thumb.
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:21 AM

PS2:

The "lack of cooperation" in overthrowing Saddam does not make the French "anti-American". As an independent country they have a right to forge their own foreign policy, based on their own consciences and what they perceive as being in THEIR national interests (not OURS). They are not puppets of the US and can make their own decisions in this regard. We may not like it, but that is their right.

Maybe they just didn't feel there was enough evidence that the WMD's were there to justify going to war. In the long run, they may even prove to be right - after all, we've not found them yet, and Americans are dying over there almost daily now. Is the world a safer place with Saddam out of power? That all depends on what follows - and the jury is still out on that.

The US, France, and Germany (and all the other countries of NATO) are all allies, who have a difference of opinion on this issue. That does not mean we all hate each other. The French can be difficult (I know, I lived there as a child and my brother was born there), but that does not mean they hate us. They're difficult with everyone, not just the US.

I certainly wouldn't miss out on a great vacation destination because of a misguided attempt to "punish" the French because they "dared" to disagree with our foreign policy. That's a really silly thing to do and punished no one more than yourself.

Ken