Search

BALLI IN THE FALL OR SPRING?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BALLI IN THE FALL OR SPRING?

Hello all,
I am planning a honeymoon to Bali or Tahiti for fall 2013 or spring 2014. How is the weather around this time? How much would the tickets cost coming from Tampa, FL? Where can I go for housing rental, hotels ect? What are some good places to visit? PLZ HELP!!!
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Here is the weather site I use most: www.weatherbase.com

Bali and Tahiti are very different from each other. Tahiti is really pretty much all beach - there isn't that much else to do. Bali is a real cultural experience as well as having beaches.

In Tahiti, I've stayed on Tahiti, on Moorea and on Bora Bora, and Bora Bora would be my choice there. But again, everthing you do is beach-centered. Also, costs in Tahiti are very high. Your plane tickets will be the least of it. Accommodations and food are very expensive. Your hotel will host some local music and dancing but that is pretty much it for culture.

Bali has more price points. You can live in the lap of luxury for pretty reasonable prices. In Bali, I'd choose two places to stay, one at a beach (but NOT Nusa Dua) and one inland near Ubud. In Bali, you will want a driver/guide to take you some places (temples, volcanoes, etc) for several of your days. On Bora Bora, you might wanr a bike for a few hours, but there is no place to "go."

Look at hotel prices in Bali at booking sites like www.agoda.com and www.balidiscovery.com Don't buy a package on Bali - make your own decisions about where to go/what to do.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 01:12 PM

get a guidebook for each and then ask us specific questions, that way we can supply good answers
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM

Kathie; Sums it up very well and we have been to Bali 3 times and the Society Islands twice. For us the only thing the Society Islands has is greater access to snorkeling though in North Bali the snorkeling rivals Tahiti/ Morrrea.
Lastly in Bali you can find a luxury 3 1/2-4 star resort for $200 something you will not find in the Socitiety Islands. I cannot comment on air but going through NYC I would guess they are within a few hundred dollars of each other.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM

The weather in Bali in September/October and March/April is much the same: Good. Both low tourist season which is also good.

There are zillions of places to stay in Bali at all price ranges. Tell us what you're targeting and what you like to do and we can steer you toward some websites. TripAdvisor is also good if you know the general area you want to stay in.

As noted, a few days at the beach (I like Seminyak) for sun and sea and a few days in the Ubud area for nature and culture is a good balance.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. My fiance and I are pretty set on Bali, but I wanted to get some views on Tahiti as well. We both like the beach and any kind of water sport. We love to learn about different cultures and Bali seems like the place to do all of that. What is the best city to visit/stay in Bali? I have been checking out tickets and I am very confuse on the airports... which airport do I use? What are some really great websites I can use to plan this trip? Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM

There is only one commercial airport on Bali, near Denpasar, DPS. From Florida, you will likely be routed through Singapore or perhaps Hong Kong on your way to Bali.

You will want to spend some time near Ubud and you will want some time at a beach. marmot (above) who lives there now recommends Seminyak. I always enjoy Sanur, but there are more luxe properties at Seminyak.

In terms of trip planning, buy your plane tickets and just reserve your accommodations ahead of time, don't reserve day trips or whaterver. You can do that for perhaps a tenth of the online price once you get to Bali.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM

PS Pick up a good guidebook. Lonely Planet has one specific to Bali and Lombok.
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 11:12 AM

another routing is thru atlanta and then korean air thu seoul to bali.. we did this thru nyc and it was perfect
Old Sep 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM

I like Periplus and Insight guidebooks. For places to stay you get more current and accurate information on line. Other than this site and TripAdvisor I've never used a general Bali information site, but all of the resorts have their own webpages which usually provide links to the area.

The airport DPS is called Denpasar, but it's not actually IN Denpasar. It's in Jimabaran, close to all of the southern beaches, and about an hour to Ubud.