Search

fiji vs bali

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fiji vs bali

we have been to tahiti and would now like to try one of these islands. can someone please let me know the difference between the two, what's good or bad about each etc. we go to hawaii every year-kauai is our favorite and we liked tahiti if that helps.
thank you
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM

It all depends on what you like. We have been to Fiji and were mostly unimpressed. We had been to other Pacific Islands and were more impressed with them.

Fiji is beautiful and there is the usual boating, diving, resort type activities, we quite like the rafting trip near Pacific Harbour. The native dancing etc is similar to other Islands as is the diving and activities.

The islands are big and the roads rough to getting from place to place takes a relatively long time.

Nadi and Suva are not great cities. They are poor (have seen worse). To us they had no spirit. With half the population Indian and half Fijian there seems to be an us and them attitude. The Indians tend to own the shops and businesses and keep the money to themselves - ie there seems to be no community spirit/pride as you would see in other towns.

The Fijians tend to only work when they have to, they rely on and share with each other which is great in a non capitalist world but doesn't work in a capitalist society.

If you are into staying at resorts you will not see this so it may not pose a problem.

We haven't been to Bali, but given the choice I would go there but avoid, like the plague, the touristy areas and stick to the "real Bali". It would be a totally different culture and landscape to the Polynesians of Fiji and Hawaii.

Fiji is lovely not doubt, but not as nice as say, the Cook Is., Samoa or Vanuatu. Go to them if you haven't been.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Toncasmo, having been to both Bali and Fiji, we agree with peterSale that a lot depends on what you're looking for. In our opinion, Bali is special because of its unique culture. . .steeped in ancient traditions of Buddhism in an overwhelmingly Muslim Indonesia. The people are very gentle and warm, and their religious rituals are integral to their lives. The town of Ubud is special. But if one of your main concerns is beautiful turquoise water with white sandy beaches, there are other islands which fit that bill. Bali has beaches, but these would not be our motive for visiting there, especially if it necessitates extra long travel. We enjoyed Fiji, but found that, as peterSale noted, there is not the same feeling of cohesiveness among the people. In spite of the poverty and poor roads, we did enjoy our time there. (You can see our T/R of Fiji by clicking on our screen name. We didn't write one for Bali.) Knowing what we know now, if we had to choose between the two, we'd choose Bali.

It's interesting that you mentioned having been to Tahiti. We're considering spending time in Moorea and Bora Bora in February. Our main goal for this trip is to escape our cold winter and enjoy a tropical climate with beautiful beaches.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to also post on the Asia board tagged for Indonesia to get more input re Bali.
Old Dec 4th, 2012, 09:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Fiji is a Pacific island and shares a lot of the attributes of laid back style, as Peter says. Away from the resorts, of which I've only stayed in a small one and visited some of the bigger ones for functions & meals - there is a divide between the Indians & the Fijians. I've been there 4 or 5 times and always enjoy it - because I have friends there & go to see them.

Bali is quite different. It's Asian - chaotic in Denpassar & Kuta, exotic, peaceful & hauntingly beautiful in the countryside and the Balinese are gentle & charming.
The main religion is Hindu; Buddhism had a flutter early in but they & the Christians represent only a small minority now.

I like Balinese food - it's not to my taste, quite as exciting as Thai or Vietnamese. With a few exceptions, I wasnt wowed by Fijian fare - a little bland for me.

Remembering that there is no social service handouts helps keep in perspective the Balinese traders, street vendors' keen attitude to selling their wares. And they love to bargain.

I've been to Bali probably 15+ times and will likely be back again in the next 5-6 months.

It's changing rapidly and as usual when the world " discovers" a place, not always for the good. The proliferation of villas has added a dimension in accommodation options that is attractive to many.
I hope the smaller, owner operated places will remain.

Right now Bali can be anything you want it to be. Luxurious, with local & international restaurants - and inexpensive with local warungs ... And a mix of both.

Just don't stay in Nusa Dua - it's an enclave of hotels and you could be anywhere in the world. Kuta is a bit of a zoo & I wouldn't stay there either - but at least it's distinctly Asian & Balinese.

Have a look on the Asian forum here - and on Bali Travel Forum.com for good local & up to date info.
Old Dec 5th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much for all your help...really appreciate it
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM

Bali is such a nice place as long as you won't get the thing that they call "bali-belly" because of their water. You need to be careful not to get sick.