bali & lombok vs philippines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After taking into consideration traveling time I have 10 days to spend April 1-11 for vacation. I need help deciding whether to visit Bali & Lombok vs Philippines. I am interested in diving (heard Komodo is quite beautiful), nice beaches (similar to Caribbean, Thailand; I grew up in Miami so I am familiar with what is a nice beach), nightlife, and which is one cheaper? Right now I can only stay in Indonesia for ten days but if I was to go to the Philippines I could stay for 17 days. Also, i don't want to just hang out on beaches all day. I like treks/outdoors/nice views, so a combination of both would be nice. Is ten days in Bali & Lombok sufficient. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks again
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 10:40 AM

Both can be cheap, but the Philippines has (for me) far superior beaches, perhaps the best in the world, and diving there can be just as spectacular as it is in Indonesia. Both can be cheap, but both can also be wildly expensive. I think your money tends to go much further in Bali in the cheap places if that's a consideration. There's plenty to do in both places, so I don't think you'd go wrong with either one, but to find everything you want, you'll have to do more traveling around in the Philippines than in Bali. In the former, you really need to do some island hopping; in the latter you can stay in a couple of places on Bali itself (or visit Lombok for a third) to get the different flavor and experiences.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. do you think ten days is enough to visit lombok, dive, and go to bali?
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 01:07 PM

I would want more than 10 days for what you propose in Bali and Lombok, but you could do it in that amount of time if you plan to do your diving there rather than going to Komodo or elsewhere. There are many stellar diving location sin Indonesia. Take a look at this current report: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...banda-aceh.cfm

For cultural activities, I think it is very hard to beat Bali.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 03:10 PM

I agree with what Doug said about diving in Indonesia and the Philippines being equally spectacular; however it can also be equally mediocre depending where you are. Reef destruction is wide spread in both countries so you have to choose carefully.

Bali and Lombok have some acceptable sites, but not on the world class level of other parts of Indonesia -- Sulawesi, Ambon, Komodo -- or their equivalents in the Philippines.

So if your objective is diving, pick the site first.

For "nice beaches, similar to the Caribbean, Thailand" I wouldn't recommend Bali. Maybe Lombok, or maybe not.

Bali's beaches are fun, lively and well developed. If you're looking for international beach culture -- resorts, spas, restaurants, clubs, surfing -- Bali is the place. If you're looking for pristine, deserted, beachcomber style, you might be satisfied with Lombok, but I'm not so sure.

Also, bear in mind that Easter is March 31. This is a popular travel time in Bali/Lombok and is HUGE in the Philippines.