Clothes for hiking/camping near Uluru?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be on a guided 3 day hiking/2 night camping trip in the Alice Springs & Uluru area in mid-November. I know the red dust is an issue, but does anyone have any more reccomendations on clothing/gear we will need? Does it get cold at night? How bad are the bugs? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Hi, Lisa!
I have never done this camping trip, so my thoughts are of very limited value, but this will start the ball rolling, at least. I don't think you will need to worry too much about the cold nights, but be aware that there will be a very sharp contrast between the hot daytime temperatures and the cool nights -- a much greater contrast than at the coast -- so you should pack accordingly.
The bugs, I would imagine, will be horrendous at that time of year. A hat with a net on it would be a good idea, but get used to the idea of a hundred flies on your back wherever you go.
If it's a guided tour, your tour company should be able to tell you more about what to bring. Good luck!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:25 AM
ned

In line with Alan's response you need to have layers. The temperatures will have a very wide range at that time of year between dawn and midday you may well experience a 20 degree C variance. You may have 4 layers on in the morning and be down to a t-shirt in the middle of the day.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 04:38 AM
sandi

Can't comment on the hiking/camping, but in mid-Nov we found the daytime temps in Alice and Uluru in the hi-90s even into the 100s, and the nights didn't cool down much (maybe 10 degrees). But there's always a chance for a "cold snap" or rain storm where the mornings and evenings can cool down about 20 degrees.

Bug - lots of flies out that way - a hat with "no-see-um" netting is good idea, or with hanging strings w/corks on the ends - flit the flies away.

Be prepared.

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I found a hat on orgear.com that I may get - its got the netting.