COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Help with Weather in Mid May!!

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Help with Weather in Mid May!!

We are planning our first trip to Germany.We will be in Rothenburg, Munich, Fussen, and also on the Rhine area. Will the weather still be chilly the last two weeks in May? I notice very few hotels have air conditioning. Will it be cool at night, and if so, how cool? We are from Texas and can stand hot days, but we like to sleep "cool". I read that it does not warm up in Germany until after the first 2 weeks in June. Is this true? Also since I am from Texas, I get cold quite easily!! I know I need layers of clothing, but will I need light or heavy layers? Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:12 PM
rex

See www.weatherbase.com or www.worldclimate.com

If you're from South Texas, then yes, Munich in late May might be like February in Houston (as I recall... from my days at Rice).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:20 PM

>still be chilly the last two weeks in May?
Maybe, who knows? One year the answer is "yes" the next year it's "no".
>does not warm up
Some years it does, others stay rather cold and wet during summer.
Weatheronline.co.uk is also a good source.
I can only predict that the weather is unpredictable. But isn't that a lot better than living at a place, where it's the same all year around. At least here you've got something to talk about.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:23 PM

I used to live in Dallas and went to school at Texas A&M (shocker, huh? ;-)) down near Houston. Even in August (2002), the nights were plenty cool and I wore pants and a light jacket at night. I really don't think it will be unbearably hot in May, it is much more likely that you will find it a bit chilly.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Second half of May should be warm during the day (maybe a windbreaker if you get cold easily) and perhaps you might want to have a sweater or two in case it gets cold at night.

It's not shorts weather (unless you're a German hiker) but spring weight clothes - some long and some short sleeves. Just be sure to bring an umbie and waterproof shoes because you will get some rain.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I know now that I will have to pack more than I wanted to!!

Good tip about the waterproof shoes.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM

On average the area hits the low 60s for highs and the low 40s for lows at that time of year.

But it's not unheard of to hit the low to mid-80s during the day, or to be below freezing at night.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 03:00 PM

We were in Germany the last two weeks of May this year and on several days it was over 90 degrees. I wore pants a few times for dinner, but other than that, it was shorts and sandals the whole time. Realize that it was a near record heat wave for that time of year, but it does happen. Most of our hotels did not have AC or even a fan, so we sweltered at night.
Whitey