Edgewater Resort and Aitutaki

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Rarotonga in April/May next year and are looking at staying at the Edgewater as it seems to be the best in value, has anyone stayed here before? We don't need a flash place, but would prefer it if there weren't many children around. Would also like to spend half our time in Aitutaki...any ideas on accommodation there?
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:09 PM

Hi Meg

there are two reasons why the Edgewater appears to have the best value accomodation options. One, the lagoon on that side of the island is not very deep so swimming and snorking can be a bit iffy at low tide and, two it caters for families. Therefore there will be kids around.

If you are after a place with no kids there are a couple of places on Raro with a no kids policy. Muri Beach Club Hotel for one or the Manuia. However both are a little pricey. Location wise much better too. Muri lagoon has great snorkling and swimming. Also close to a couple of good retaurants like Flame Tree.

One place you could consider would be Palm Grove on the south Coast. It is mainly self catering though there is a restaurant and you are not far from Wigmores store for supplies or Vaima Restaurant. It has a age restriction on its beachfront rooms, no kids under five if that helps. The rack rates are not the cheapest but maybe a travel agent could get a better deal. I know wehen we stayed there a few years back we paid no where near the rack rate.

On Aitutaki we stayed at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort. Enjoyed it very much

http://www.aitutakilagoonresort.com/

There are much cheaper options as well though.

Have you tried the Cook Island visitors website. Has good accomodation links

http://www.cook-islands.com/openFrames.htm

Hope this helps

Steve
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your help. Are there quite a few different places to eat on Rarotonga? Are they fairly expensive - I hear the supermarket there is, so we'd prefer to stay somewhere that has a reasonable restaurant on-site.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Meg -

What kind of per-night budget are you considering for accomodations?

Ken
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 10:31 AM

have you thought about renting a "villa"? we did that last year and definitely would do it again, not much more than the price of hotel and no kids, noise etc. we rented one near the edgewater and there were many restraunts within walking distance. on aitutaki i would reccommend samade on the beach. new mini chalet type accommadations, beautiful view and food was good.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I've had a look at Muri Beach Club Hotel's website...I think it opens the start of November and looks very nice. We'd prefer accommodation with a restaurant so we can organise a meal package (ie. buffet breakfast). Budget would definitely be under the $200/night mark.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:16 AM

Meg -

I think you'll be very happy with the location of the Muri Beach Club. It's been under construction FOREVER - being built bit by bit as the owner could afford it. It's pretty close to the Sokola Villas (between them and the Pacific Resort) and has a wonderful view. I actually have a photo of the place in my Webshots Rarotonga album. The photo was taken during a stop on our 4x4 "safari" and was shot from a viewpoint above and behind Muri Beach.

Here's the photo:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36602627qezeDU

Hit the "View Full Sized" link, then once the larger photo opens in a new window, you will see a very large, high resolution version. If this shrinks down after loading, just put you cursor on it and expand it again. The resort can be clearly seen (nearly finished) in the lower right-hand corner.

Note also that the next photo in the album also shows the resort, but with a much wider view, showing more of the Muri Beach area.

Ken
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM

PS - It does look like the rates at the Muri Beach Club are a lot higher than you are looking to spend though.

Ken
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

What an amazing photo, thank you so much! I didn't realise it was so close to the island. Regarding the rates, I work in the industry and am very fortunate to have been offered an amazing rate, as an opening special. Apparently availibility is filling up fast though. Thanks again
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:32 PM

The motu (islet) is not QUITE as close at it looks in those photos. Remember that the angle is foreshortened in those shots.

Ken
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 12:10 AM

We (husband and self)stayed at Edgewater Resort for 2 weeks in October 2001. We were in the Beachside building (rather than Garden buildings) It was right on the beach and much quieter than the Garden rooms. They were building new accomodation at the time we were there. The weather is less windy on this side of the island, the 'more upmarket side" is windy. Transport is brilliant - they have a clockwise bus and an anticlockwise bus running every half hour. Its about $AUD2 return trip from memory. The island is about 30 klms around and you get the bus which will get to your destination on the shortest route. The Edgewater has wonderful cultural concerts and feast a couple of nights each week, lots of snorkelling, around the reef in front of the Resort. If brave enough you can hire a motor scooter (you have to get a local licence at the Police Station for about $AUD10, it last until your next birthday!!) We took a 4WD tour up into the top of the mountain which forms the centre of the island - very good. Also did a trip to a native village which has traditional dancing, food demonstrations etc. We did a glass bottom boat trip to a small island for a BBQ- all good. There are quite a few restaurants - they vary in quality and price. We found the other Rresorts quite good to eat at. You could combine some nights on the main island of Rarotonga and spend 2-3 nights at Atutaki - it is more expensive there and not much to do except sunbake and swim. Have fun.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi thanks for your advice, were there many families staying at the Edgewater when you were there? I know it caters well for families, but think maybe if we're going when its not school holidays in NZ/AU we might be ok? Also what's the restaurant like at Edgewater? Thought I'd got onto a good thing with Muri Beach Club Hotel but have been having a lot of trouble trying to get a response from anyone there.